Ammo shortage

Montana yesterday at Scheel's...2 cases of this crap...$19.99 per...No waterfowl loads, except 10 gauge... :D

ps...And even worse...No Creedmore.........:joy:

.View attachment 51362
I was at my local Turner's yesterday and they had a good supply of kent 3" and 3.5". Even though they were more expensive than last year. 3" - 17 a box and 3.5 - 25 a box I picked up a case.

Arrows $200 per doz if you can find, then the hunting heads another $20 each
That’s because it’s hunting season and ammo is hard to find. Archery equipment will be back shortly

The status of hunting shotgun ammo is more of a joke than ever it seems. I can't even find any in stock online so sending stuff to an FFL isn't even an option. Are they even making any? I could probably reload primers out of matchheads and 3d print wads and handload shells faster than they are taking...

The status of hunting shotgun ammo is more of a joke than ever it seems. I can't even find any in stock online so sending stuff to an FFL isn't even an option. Are they even making any? I could probably reload primers out of matchheads and 3d print wads and handload shells faster than they are taking...
I reload everything other than rimfire. You can get primed hulls [no hazardous shipping charges] and shot---lead, steel, bismuth---from Ballistic Products and wads from almost anyone. All you need is powder and if you look around, there are several powders available at any time that will work. My pet shotguns are 28 gauge. I handload steel field loads for about $8 bucks a box. If you shoot 12 or 20 gauge, you can reload for about $10 a box. I have Mec and Lee Load-ALL presses, and quite honestly, the Lee is the better of the two. Much easier to change dies from gauge to gauge and it makes perfect shells. The Lee costs about $70 on Amazon with one die setup and the die setup for other gauges is about $22. You can get 12, 16, and 20 gauge setups in the Lee. In the 12 gauge, the Lee press allows you to reload 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. I reload bismuth for my older shotguns, but bismuth shot is expensive and runs about $20 a pound. Steel shot is very inexpensive and lead shot is dirt cheap.

I don't see this ammo shortage ending any time soon, although I am no expert in this supply chain stuff, so take that with a grain of powder.

Get into reloading shotshells and forget the ammo shortage.

Last edited:
I did notice the price of guns is coming back down some, maybe ammo will follow since it follow gun prices up. It won’t get back to where it was but better than where it is now.

I keep hearing don't panic, "We're cranking out ammo faster and better than ever"....I just know I'm getting all kinds of Black Friday adds from all the major players and none seem to have duck or dove steel loads.

I keep hearing don't panic, "We're cranking out ammo faster and better than ever"....I just know I'm getting all kinds of Black Friday adds from all the major players and none seem to have duck or dove steel loads.
9mm is king of the ammo supply chain right now, its what the mass'es want and all others will have to wait until the demand dies down.

Seriously all they are doing is cranking out 9mm and 556 for all the stupid mall ninjas that never even shoot the stuff for the most part I bet.

Reactions: Smokey58
The minions don't know a quality load from a crap load, so the ammo mafia are selling off all the crap first for top dollar and getting it with a Sir could I have more Please. (Oliver)
Unleaded is more of a Fairy Tail right now in California, and Mr Green jeans know it, expect to have your ammo checked and remember you can not have any leaded ammo that will load into any weapon on you while hunting. So having one Mag unleaded and one Mag lead will get you cited.

The minions don't know a quality load from a crap load, so the ammo mafia are selling off all the crap first for top dollar and getting it with a Sir could I have more Please. (Oliver)
Unleaded is more of a Fairy Tail right now in California, and Mr Green jeans know it, expect to have your ammo checked and remember you can not have any leaded ammo that will load into any weapon on you while hunting. So having one Mag unleaded and one Mag lead will get you cited.
I believe the only exception to this is if you have a concealed carry permit and you have ammo in/for your handgun

I believe the only exception to this is if you have a concealed carry permit and you have ammo in/for your handgun
You know LE, GW, FS all have there dealers, they get ammo, they have ammo stored, beyond anything you or I could

hevi-metal is my go to ammo....

clearly they did not make any for me this year

good thing my super secret guy saved me a few boxes.... that damn 25 round limit makes getting limits hard.

Last edited:
I checked the sportsmans in Henderson while I was there for TG. They had a grand total of zero for 12g.
Oh and they made me put back most the .22 LR I tried to take off with... some crap about a 2 box limit and I'm not allowed to have it all. Sounds like some liberal came up with that one!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu