Anyone ever hunt Coal Canyon Eco Preserve off the 91?

Nicopopolis, yes my friend, approach WITHOUT a firearm from the old Coal Canyon exit and walk up the hill. When you start getting grunted at take a look. 175 or better and they know you aren't going to do anything. I have seen 5 or 6 huge bucks in there at one time. Take a hike and find out for yourself.

Still going to call BS here. I dont doubt there are some good bucks in there, but 175 is a looooong shot. I am thinking your field judging might be a little off.

Wasn't one of the bucks Chad Gierlich shot from in Chino Hills Statepark? Maybe Chad can weigh in on what he saw in there... anyone talk to him over at Hookup Baits?

175" bucks in So Cal are rare. If they were in a public state park guys would be lining up to take photos. Seeing a 175" buck on the G3 hunt now a days is next to non existent.

I am not hiking in there. I have zero plans to return to So Cal. We do have 175" bucks here in Colorado and guys will gladly inflate their 160 bucks to be a 175 quite often.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I’ve often wondered about that place, since it would be close for me too. I made a few calls a couple of years ago and was told you have to go in off the 91 Freeway via the unmarked and dilapidated former offramp. Then hike uphill for over a mile. Shotgun only. Other sources gave conflicting info. I’m only after quail and rabbits so I decided it was all too confusing and not worth the hassles. But it’s always been in the back of my mind....maybe it’s one of those secret honey holes...?

Reactions: KThor
Wow. Revival of an old post. The biggest PO going there is the hassle with the locks. LEOs constantly were cutting off the county locks and putting there own on. Sounds like Juan has much more current info as I gave up years ago.

Nicopopolis, yes my friend, approach WITHOUT a firearm from the old Coal Canyon exit and walk up the hill. When you start getting grunted at take a look. 175 or better and they know you aren't going to do anything. I have seen 5 or 6 huge bucks in there at one time. Take a hike and find out for yourself.

Blackstar thing won't work unless you LIKE being harassed by the anti-hikers. They will threaten to call LEO (their personal hunting grounds) and photo your car. They might even get LEO out there to harass you.

Oh and it would be wise to recognize that the State bought the area as a passageway for long tail. There is nothing as much fun as walking through on a nice foggy morning and hearing a long tail scream from 10 yards away. I always carried 00 buck shot. Twice I walked up on long tails making bacon.

At this point my greatest concern is probably the long tail. I think I am figuring out a legal way to approach through the Coal Canyon exit with my weapon. I am bow hunting so I need it in a locked case in my "mechanical mode of conveyance." That should get me through safe legally. It's a 3.25 mile slog up 1300ft from the parking lot but with a bike (and maybe a kiddie trailer) that is manageable.

Still going to call BS here. I dont doubt there are some good bucks in there, but 175 is a looooong shot. I am thinking your field judging might be a little off.

Wasn't one of the bucks Chad Gierlich shot from in Chino Hills Statepark? Maybe Chad can weigh in on what he saw in there... anyone talk to him over at Hookup Baits?

175" bucks in So Cal are rare. If they were in a public state park guys would be lining up to take photos. Seeing a 175" buck on the G3 hunt now a days is next to non existent.

I am not hiking in there. I have zero plans to return to So Cal. We do have 175" bucks here in Colorado and guys will gladly inflate their 160 bucks to be a 175 quite often.

Not very picky when it comes to shooters here. Opportunity and experience is worth more than a B&C score. But I wont say no to big antlers:)

Totally agree, Nick...I don't think most guys know what a 175" buck looks like, especially in SoCal...The 1st buck is 147" (shot in North San Diego Co.)...The 2nd one is Josh' 148" ...Tom's 162" from Colorado...The last buck is Tanner's 189" buck from Colorado last year....:blush:

ps....Do SoCal deer grunt?....lol

.golf tourney 11-15-10 003.JPGjosh kettl giant deer.jpgtoms big buck 2016.jpg007.JPG

Yes Steve. You got it right. Many guys would look at Tanners buck and put him over 200"... mostly because they dont realize how big a 180" buck really is.

I saw a 200" class typical buck near our property and the size of that buck was unreal.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I’ve often wondered about that place, since it would be close for me too. I made a few calls a couple of years ago and was told you have to go in off the 91 Freeway via the unmarked and dilapidated former offramp. Then hike uphill for over a mile. Shotgun only. Other sources gave conflicting info. I’m only after quail and rabbits so I decided it was all too confusing and not worth the hassles. But it’s always been in the back of my mind....maybe it’s one of those secret honey holes...?

Worth exploring, I think.

Hey Steve, Josh never got those back did he? and dang Tanner's buck is sweet.

...but with a bike (and maybe a kiddie trailer) that is manageable.

A kiddie trailer! How stealth is that? I freaking love it! Wear a cycling jersey and some tight shorts and you'll blend right in! The anti's will think you're one of them. Then you can switch to your cammo when you get up there and you're all set. (Just be careful about blood dripping out of the kiddie trailer when you're packing out.)

A kiddie trailer! How stealth is that? I freaking love it! Wear a cycling jersey and some tight shorts and you'll blend right in! The anti's will think you're one of them. Then you can switch to your cammo when you get up there and you're all set. (Just be careful about blood dripping out of the kiddie trailer when you're packing out.)
Agreed, blood dripping out of your kiddie trailer is never a good look.

Lol, reminds me of someone holding a parade today. All opinion no facts.

Bs with out pics.....

155 is the current cbh record for pacific hybrids.

My personal best 134 as scored by Lungpopper and displayed at the sch bbq

There are big deer running around oc on irvine dirt and rmv dirt but they are off limits. Even in the good spots not sure could grow a 175. Once again there are no 175s grunting at anyone up on blackstar.

Prove me wrong :)

Post a pic Tony (facts)... I'm laughing, 170" bucks and LE having their own locked public land hunting area. I was records chairman for CBH.... no buck remotely close to 170" has ever come from Cleveland or Chino Hills. I was LE (30 years) in the city that the gates into the Cleveland where this topic is about and no LEO did what you're describing. My side hurts... Ed F

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu