Anyone Into Black Powder?

You guys have centerline ML or ??? I use either a Great Plains .50 cap lock or the Great Plains .50 flinter. Kind of old school, but they work well.

You guys have centerline ML or ??? I use either a Great Plains .50 cap lock or the Great Plains .50 flinter. Kind of old school, but they work well.
im looking at some fancy CVA, seems like you cant go wrong. i see some other states have different seasons for flint lock. interesting. anyreason why those states would split those seasons?

im looking at some fancy CVA, seems like you cant go wrong. i see some other states have different seasons for flint lock. interesting. anyreason why those states would split those seasons?
I haven't researched it, but I would assume that flint locks are viewed as less reliable than more modern muzzle loaders. They are a bit more of a challenge at times. For instance I have seen on a very windy day the powder can get blown out of the flash pan before ignition, or heavy rain can cause an issue. It is pure speculation on my part though.

Ceterfire ML...iron sights only in jackastan...(CA).. 50 to 70 yds..max..think ishi..that dude was a stud...with a sharp stick and string mind you.

So what's with those cylindrical solid pieces of blackpowder? Is it like for each grain-weight of projectile, they have a recommended number of those you drop into the bore and then tap them in a little? And uh, with those sabot'd copper's... I'm assuming you only give them a gentle tapping down in with the rod so the tips don't get messed up?

And do ya have to shoot-em to unload them at the end of the day if you had no luck? Or can they be unloaded manually?

My children shoot 3 whitehot pellets (50 each..total 150) pushing a 295grain copper ballistic tip sabot ..with a 209 primer setting her off....deadly....it is advised Larry that you discharge your gun after the days walk about.....we have a saftey check after every hunt...were still around.

Reactions: Bluesky0727
Hatchet, last buck with a mz was at 156 yds. Iron sights.
I have hit targets at 150 yards with the flinter and cap lock, but only took 1 buck at about 65 yards with the flinter, Great Plains cap lock I have had good fortune out to about 120 yards, the Great Plains rifle is my goto ML, the flinter has enough difference to be more of a challenge.

78% draw odds, not bad.
I need to get a good map, but just for in general is that area just north of Santa Paula? I am still learning the SoCal area, same with San Jacinto mtns and points further south. I have been told that around Thomas mtn and little Thomas mtn are good hunts same with east of lake Hemet in Garner Valley. I haven't hunted these areas and haven't scouted much yet. I haven't been here long. I may go north to the woods I know, but it is a pretty good chunk of a day to get there and another to get back. Would be nice to find something closer for deer, and I would like to try a boar hunt, but again being new to the area makes it a bit of a chore to find out where the good spots are. I ask a lot of questions to find a good safe area to hunt.

I have got bit by the black powder bug. I have an old Austin and Halleck I converted to a 209 primer ignition and I have it shooting 1 1/2 Moa @100. I am also having a custom rig built by Center Punch USA in 40 cal for a long range rig, as there are some high BC bullets available for 40cal

I have got bit by the black powder bug. I have an old Austin and Halleck I converted to a 209 primer ignition and I have it shooting 1 1/2 Moa @100. I am also having a custom rig built by Center Punch USA in 40 cal for a long range rig, as there are some high BC bullets available for 40cal
what can a 40 shoot out to responsibility

what can a 40 shoot out to responsibility
Depends on the wind... extremely low SD with a smoke pole so you can dial elevation very accurately. The velocity required to get good expansion on the soft bullets I would say @600 yards

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Depends on the wind... extremely low SD with a smoke pole so you can dial elevation very accurately. The velocity required to get good expansion on the soft bullets I would say @600 yards
Please keep in mind these are not traditional muzzleloader bullets, they are custom made with very soft jackets and very high BC for their size

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu