Ca big game

Very true...its rare i type that much, but wanted to share my one and only experience on a tule hunt in the owens valley...its been my experience that Dfg wants you to fill those tags they alot there...they were actually there to make sure it happend....get ahold of the bio , its in his best interest you cull that bull. And there are some dandys there as you have seen. Maybe someday i,ll shoot one in the throat...one can only hope

Very true...its rare i type that much, but wanted to share my one and only experience on a tule hunt in the owens valley...its been my experience that Dfg wants you to fill those tags they alot there...they were actually there to make sure it happend....get ahold of the bio , its in his best interest you cull that bull. And there are some dandys there as you have seen. Maybe someday i,ll shoot one in the throat...one can only hope

Hope can keep ya going. That’s insane I will def share photos from scouting trips and the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya! It is only about a 3 and a half for me I’m in Bakersfield! I still need to get ahold of the biologist I got his number just can’t get through to him. I def plan on at least a few if not more than five scouting trips! My buddy knows a guide up there who said he’d possibly help me. Or at least give me a lay of the land...I’m beyond stoked
The Idaho tag is a sawtooth tag which I’m hearing mixed things about. I’m hearing it’s heavy wolf country and not near as much elk as there used to be. But I still may give it a try I planned on two weeks but might cut it back to one. Who knows my luck may continue on and I might get my controlled hunt in Idaho. A man can dream right... I might head up to scout this weekend, do a little over nighter here’s some pics of some lone pine elk.View attachment 39811View attachment 39809View attachment 39810View attachment 39807

I don’t live far from you, Tehachapi. Congrats on a great tag! Be sure to keep us in the loop and scout for your hunt I’m sure we would all enjoy hearing about it all. You considering going guided ?

Reactions: Jacobo2012
I don’t live far from you, Tehachapi. Congrats on a great tag! Be sure to keep us in the loop and scout for your hunt I’m sure we would all enjoy hearing about it all. You considering going guided ?

Thanks! Def will do and no I don’t think so might spend a day or two scouting with a guide pre season though not positive but it is the plan for now

Reactions: baboltin
Do you know what Area you’re going to focus On I hunted the flats last year didn’t see much but it was archery so in August

I am going high and deep. Plan is to get into some real nasty country miles from trails and roads. I will be between 8-12k feet. We will be backpacking.

Last edited:
IMG_2652.jpg
Saw a couple nice bulls this weekend and a few cows with them
No monsters yet though. It was neat to see this one in velvet but very weird to see the other bull hadn’t dropped on of his antlers and wasn’t re growing them yet? Don’t get why ones already midway through growing his rack while the other hasn’t even shed both yet??

You two guys need to come to my place an setup a multi target shooting. 60 yards plus..
When times are better I woul like to setup 3d shoots.
Maybe donated 3 d targets from my
Friends lol
Thank you Lee, I dont have a 3 D target but I have a square bag ( target) in which we Could draw a deer on if you like it. ;)

Reactions: longbowhunter2
My 1st year hunting in general and got D11.
I hear I have alot of work ahead of me.
I know I have to put in my due diligence and have already started scouting.
Any veterans have any good tips for D11?

2019 - Deer Tag - 1st Deer (Draw Issued) (Hunt: G13) (Unreported)
7/1/2019
12/31/2019
2019 - Deer Tag - 2nd Deer (Res) (Hunt: D16) (Unreported)
8/2/2019
12/31/2019

G13 / D16 done.

D14 / D16 saving up those points!

I will be in CO hunting cow elk in a month! Never been out there in September so I have no idea what to expect in regards to weather.

D14 / D16 saving up those points!

I will be in CO hunting cow elk in a month! Never been out there in September so I have no idea what to expect in regards to weather.

If it's anything like Montana or Canada that time of year....Be prepared for 20's to 80's....And wet, snow, or sun....Layering is the key IMO....I have a Gore-Tex packable rain suit that goes everywhere with me....Lots of great gear these days.

Pic is from Sept. 13th last year

.041.JPG

If it's anything like Montana or Canada that time of year....Be prepared for 20's to 80's....And wet, snow, or sun....Layering is the key IMO....I have a Gore-Tex packable rain suit that goes everywhere with me....Lots of great gear these days.

Pic is from Sept. 13th last year

.View attachment 40286

Nice! We hunted in the same unit in the 1st week of January this year and harvest a nice cow. It was cold (high of 10) but we knew we knew what we were getting into. The uncertainty of having rain, snow, heat, or cold is adding a fun element. Though I prefer colder than warmer.

Just to confirm...
i can bow hunt the first three weeks of september for buck only with the D16 right

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu