D16 rifle started today?

He had 4 does with him as well. Lots of deer on mcc. Hopefully he had a chance to knock a few of them up before he checked out.
Many questions: What rifle and cartridge were you shooting? How far was the shot? What ammo did you shoot?

I was down by henshaw on Saturday and could have sworn I heard pistol shots up on palomar. Bummer that folks can be so rude.
Yep it was saturday early afternoon when someone was shooting pistols up by Palomar but the Does still came out. Could be the shots kept the Bucks hunkered down but the 2 adjoining ranches each had a single shot yesterday around 0645 so someone got a Buck

Our hybrid "mule" deer have whitetail ish antlers.

Jake,

I had a buck 2 days ago looking right at me (bedded down) at dark thirty....1st thing I thought was the curved, cradled antlers of a white-tail I had in front of me up in Washington a few years back...The zone I was in was 3 points or more on one side...Never could tell.

Many questions: What rifle and cartridge were you shooting? How far was the shot? What ammo did you shoot?
Winchester model 70 in 270 win.

309A78B7-2BEA-47AB-9780-48A997DB012C.jpeg

Cartridges were federal power shok copper.

8EF7C895-8986-4343-B6C5-A287F02B7AEA.jpeg

Shot was about 270 yards based on google earth measurements. I’m kicking myself for not checking with my rangefinder afterwards but I was focused on the deer in the aftermath.

Last edited:
Classic, .270 win, To all of those that know me - imagine that... Jack O'connor in a book he wrote back in the 40's said if you want to hunt the west buy a .270. Nuff said...
Agreed but ironically this is one of the push feed model 70s that O’Conner hated so much. :D

I like the classic model 70s but this rifle has never disappointed me with accuracy.

Agreed but ironically this is one of the push feed model 70s that O’Conner hated so much. :D

I like the classic model 70s but this rifle has never disappointed me with accuracy.
Saw that when you posted the pic, Still cheap 60's era negative impress checkering stock, iron sights and inexpensive mounts and scope (when was the last time you saw a centerfire rifle with open sights ? ) and old school sling, and what has been the standard in bullet weight for the .270 130 grain. Also no range finding just hold on fur and let'r rip. Old school all the way and it warms my heart. I would bet a hundred dollars that deer did not know the difference between which cartridge lead to his demise. Good on you.... and I hope a story for others that its all about doing the work, being in the right place at the right time and being a good marksman. Congrats ! . BTW Oconnor was in serious health decline when the push feed arrived and stories about him when he moved to Lewiston Idaho hinted he was kind of an old grumpy guy and berated it.

Classic, .270 win, To all of those that know me - imagine that... Jack O'connor in a book he wrote back in the 40's said if you want to hunt the west buy a .270. Nuff said...

“Assuming a cartridge can make its way on merit alone, that cartridge is the .270 W.C.F. In its early years it sat in the corner, dressed in sackcloth and covered with ashes, while few riflemen suspected that underneath it had a figger like Miss America, a disposition like an angel, and it could bake pies like Mother used to make.”

— “The .270 Can Do Big Things,” featured in The Lost Classics of Jack O’Connor, originally in Outdoor Life, 1943

Saw that when you posted the pic, Still cheap 60's era negative impress checkering stock, iron sights and inexpensive mounts and scope (when was the last time you saw a centerfire rifle with open sights ? ) and old school sling, and what has been the standard in bullet weight for the .270 130 grain. Also no range finding just hold on fur and let'r rip. Old school all the way and it warms my heart. I would bet a hundred dollars that deer did not know the difference between which cartridge lead to his demise. Good on you.... and I hope a story for others that its all about doing the work, being in the right place at the right time and being a good marksman. Congrats ! . BTW Oconnor was in serious health decline when the push feed arrived and stories about him when he moved to Lewiston Idaho hinted he was kind of an old grumpy guy and berated it.
This was actually my first firearm. I didn’t grow up hunting and when I was 19 I found it at the Del Mar gun show for ~$400 in ‘05.

Still wears the old Bausch and Lomb scope it came with. The sling was my own addition. I like the milsurp look. I only just changed out the fixed sling swivels to quick detach a few weeks ago.

I’m an old man at heart and always appreciated the older style. :D

I want to say that I’ve read somewhere that O’Connor softened his earlier stance on the “post ‘64” and acknowledged it was accurate and reliable enough, even if he still found it ugly. ;)

Reactions: ilovesprig
Don't ever sell it, as you have witnessed it will do all you ask it to. I still own the first two rifles I ever bought, both Remington 700's, the first was an adl in .222 (killed a mountain of varmints with it) and the second is a bdl in 25-06 both purchased back in the early 70's. Last time I shot the 25-06 I shot cow elk at about 200 yards, it walked about thirty feet and fell down. Too many memories to ever part with either one. You got a keeper on your hands, don't change a thing.
This was actually my first firearm. I didn’t grow up hunting and when I was 19 I found it at the Del Mar gun show for ~$400 in ‘05.

Still wears the old Bausch and Lomb scope it came with. The sling was my own addition. I like the milsurp look. I only just changed out the fixed sling swivels to quick detach a few weeks ago.

I’m an old man at heart and always appreciated the older style. :D

I want to say that I’ve read somewhere that O’Connor softened his earlier stance on the “post ‘64” and acknowledged it was accurate and reliable enough, even if he still found it ugly. ;)

I still have my dad's Rem, Mod 721, 270.....It originally had a little 2.5 power fixed Weaver...Then the Busch and Lomb....Still shoots straight.

My dad's 1st buck with it...1956

.View attachment 51708
Steve, First elk I ever saw get shot was with uncle in New Mexico in 1974 in the Gila wilderness with a Remington 721 in .270 with a fixed power Weaver 4x if I remember right. We went inm on horseback and slept on the ground with no tents and only what the horse we rode in could carry. Caught Gila trout on hand lines with crickets in the creeks and ate canned beans with the trout. It was the early years of elk bugle calls and I witnessed my uncle having his friend call one out in front of us. It came in like a bolt of lighting and ran towards us screaming and pissing all over himself and tearing up brush with his antlers. My uncle dumped him with one shot at less than 100 yards. The bull stunk like nothing I had ever smelled before . Now I think of it as perfume...

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu