D16 rifle started today?

Went out, saw 3 does but no bucks with them. I heard a shot that sounded like private otherwise I didn't hear any shooting from public. I did see a buck with a doe on private though so hopefully the bucks pull in soon. Those does were all in their beds by 7:30 which seemed early given how cool it was out.

Reactions: IVhunter
Janice has kind of revoked the outside the ears rule (management buck)....Too many dink forks were being shot.... ;)

Deer surveys and counts are done every year on the VID properties...The buck to doe ratio is high and they want to keep it that way.

Everyone that joins know this rule....If you can't accept it, don't join....Pretty simple.
KISS

Reactions: doccherry
I'm going to church Tonight...it's been a long bloody week...have fun in the 16..16ers...1 more to go here and im east bound and down! never to step foot again in Jackastan until yardbird season.... Texas...here we come!!!! Oh boy..

We were on a ranch near Mt Palomar. Saw 2 does each day and a Spike but no adult Buck. Saw one lousy Mntn Quail that disappeared before me eyes and a Bobcat hunting acorn fed squirrels. Heard of many Mntn Lion sightings on ranch and area. Much Turkey gobbling in the area.

Hiked 3.75 miles up a mountain today only to have two guys In a truck pull up behind me from the private property route as soon as I made it to the top....
Happens to me all the time, but it’s usually god-damn cows from the private property.

I hunted 2 different areas Saturday. Glassing from up high very early in the AM I saw nothing. As I started to move down I ran in a total of 6 hunters on the way out one had seen only a Doe. No shots were heard anywhere in the area.
Later in the afternoon moved to a different location, Trucks parked down the trail. Finally, find a little spot. Another truck nearby comes and tells me "Hey just so you know, I am going to do some target shooting!"...OMG..I said "It is hunting season, but it is public land so do what you got to do" and moved on. You could hear pistol shots a few minutes later.
It is tuff to stay positive while hunting public land on a weekend. No matter how hard I hike, how steep, how far there are always people.

I should have taken the little legal buck I saw hunting the other zone....I had him on the scope with the red dot on his shoulder, for a second I had decided to take him, then I let him be thinking he might just make it until next year to be a bigger Buck...Oh well.

I hunted 2 different areas Saturday. Glassing from up high very early in the AM I saw nothing. As I started to move down I ran in a total of 6 hunters on the way out one had seen only a Doe. No shots were heard anywhere in the area.
Later in the afternoon moved to a different location, Trucks parked down the trail. Finally, find a little spot. Another truck nearby comes and tells me "Hey just so you know, I am going to do some target shooting!"...OMG..I said "It is hunting season, but it is public land so do what you got to do" and moved on. You could hear pistol shots a few minutes later.
It is tuff to stay positive while hunting public land on a weekend. No matter how hard I hike, how steep, how far there are always people.

I should have taken the little legal buck I saw hunting the other zone....I had him on the scope with the red dot on his shoulder, for a second I had decided to take him, then I let him be thinking he might just make it until next year to be a bigger Buck...Oh well.
I was down by henshaw on Saturday and could have sworn I heard pistol shots up on palomar. Bummer that folks can be so rude.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu