DFW Spring Turkey Hunts 2022

Last year, I just assumed they would be up the hill farther and not in such low trees...I had snuck in thru a river bed...Set-up in a strutting area...Not putting them to bed, cost me...I owl hooted too and never got a response...Hind sight tells me I should've set up on the opposite side of the little valley and most certainly will this year.

If I know there's a roost nearby or I know exactly where they are...I try to set up at about 100 to 150 yds away...And If I've patterned them, I try to get that angle to where hens start their daily routine route...If there's water close (and there always is), I will try to sneak in near that...Remember, it's the hens that are your greatest concern.
What if I don't know their pattern. What do you usually do?

What if I don't know their pattern. What do you usually do?
If you have to guess. Based on my experience. They like to fly down in more open areas where they can see there are no predators waiting to hammer them. So, if you know the area somewhat, get there early, and setup there. If they gobble from a different area take a calculated risk on repositioning or waiting and hoping they come your way.

Reactions: ilovesprig
There's a million what if's...I can normally find a roost in other states in about a day or two...Pretty much all public...I try to just scout the 1st morning and hunt the afternoon...Then scout the evening...Local knowledge can play a large part in finding birds...I talk to anybody that's a local.

How many days do you have?...The weather plays a key role as well...Both Kansas and Alabama gave me 1 day out of 5 that it didn't rain...Scored on those two good days.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu