Guns While Car Camping

In a hunting situation in Cali if you have a firearm with you it cannot in anyway be touching your vehicle if it has a round in the chamber. I have been checked many times on this situation regardless if you are in the field or camp.

Reactions: SteveHazard
No idea but I'm always carrying when camping in the CNF.. haven't had an issue yet. Been rolled numerous times by BP and Sheriffs (never FS police though) and it's been all good.

Long guns need to be cased but not locked I thought.. but pistols do need to be locked with ammo separate I thought.

Reactions: Smokey58
In a hunting situation in Cali if you have a firearm with you it cannot in anyway be touching your vehicle if it has a round in the chamber. I have been checked many times on this situation regardless if you are in the field or camp.
This is correct. If somebody leans their weapon against a vehicle or sets it on the tailgate with a round chambered they'll be ticketed if hunting. They are always checking the chamber with me as well.

I am actually glad this question was asked
Dude, makes me nervous with all the hype..
Dang, need to strengthen my bow arm back to bow hunting again sight.
No really, a really good question ny the op. Crazy crazy crazy times.
30 years ago I never saw this happening.. crazy..

We use to carry long guns on our back windows of our trucks, in plain sight. Same for the shotty. Jeez
Now so now a days what we think is correct is not. Or we thought was not correct it is..
As a rule I was taught to empty the rifle or shot gun before returning to camp.. now this applied to southern California. N
And not bear country which is a whole different deal. Gris that is.
In Mexico it's instant go to jail don't pass go if you don't have the right permits. And there you sit.
Is this what is in store for us..
Remember 30 years ago we didn't think this was possible..

Fred,

I think I was told this is the #1 violation written...Dangerous too.

This is correct. If somebody leans their weapon against a vehicle or sets it on the tailgate with a round chambered they'll be ticketed if hunting. They are always checking the chamber with me as well.
Seriously?? So if I just returned to the truck from miles of hacking back to it and am exhausted... if I put my rifle on the tailgate.. in order to then turn around and drop my pack on the tailgate... and I'm sitting there chugging a water bottle like it's the last one in the world.... and haven't *yet* cleared the rifle... I'm gonna get a ticket?

Seriously?? So if I just returned to the truck from miles of hacking back to it and am exhausted... if I put my rifle on the tailgate.. in order to then turn around and drop my pack on the tailgate... and I'm sitting there chugging a water bottle like it's the last one in the world.... and haven't *yet* cleared the rifle... I'm gonna get a ticket?

YES....Is there a reason not to take the about 5 seconds to unload out of the chamber?

I will be sleeping in my truck. I was planning on having my pistol with a loaded magazine but no round chambered. Would it just be safer (legally) to bring a tent and pitch it next to my truck?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.21.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.21.14 AM.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 4
What county do you live in? If it's not LA or San Diego you might be able to get a CCW permit then you don't have to worry about it...most places. There are still some places you couldn't carry. Believe it or not a State Wildlife Area is one of the places you can't carry. As long as you have a clean record and can give them a good reason, like I camp by myself in wilderness areas where there's no cell service, you'll likely get one, after a while.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
What county do you live in? If it's not LA or San Diego you might be able to get a CCW permit then you don't have to worry about it...most places. There are still some places you couldn't carry. Believe it or not a State Wildlife Area is one of the places you can't carry. As long as you have a clean record and can give them a good reason, like I camp by myself in wilderness areas where there's no cell service, you'll likely get one, after a while.
lol i live in LA County- no go.

Absolutely. People have done this and somebodies dog jumps up there and steps on a trigger, gun falls over etc.

Every year someone puts their gun down and a dog steps on it and someone gets shot...

Also SD county is issuing CCW permits I believe. A friend recently got one.

Picking up steam here...following...
X2 me too..
So since I live in the boonies. May be I can get CCW.. hmmmm

Ya dog, like I said earlier. I was taught to unload before interring
Camp.. safety bro..
I also got chewed out if I didn't have the breach open and safely put away..
Should be automatic.;)

Ah... I see. Makes sense I guess. Not a thought that would enter my mind since typically it's the middle of the night when I'm arriving back to the truck and nobody else is around for miles. I even make it a point to xfer the backup pistol into my pocket while I'm walking around loading the stuff back into the vehicle and not yet in the car... juuuust to make sure I've got coverage the whole time. Attention to detail.

The truck isn't too darn far away from where I happened upon those 7 MtnLions, so I figure if I was them I might be curious about that clumsy human I hear huffin and puffin down the trail.

Or if its the revolver in the center-chest... like when I go to AngelesNF it's thee last thing I remove. And I do my quick spit-bath with washcloth sitting up in the bed of the truck to further make sure nothings gonna catch me slippin' and creep on me from behind.

Anyhoo thanks you guys for letting me know about that ticketing detail. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Ya I hear you about camping alone.
All my stuff goes into my tent..
Especially my side arm.
Not for critters but for human predators.. lol.
I had a close call 3 years ago..
People walking all around my camp
9 pm till 3 AM in the morning all freaking night long.. illigals.
What a trip that was never camp to close to the PCT trail
Danger Will Robinson....

Reactions: Smokey58
If you are using your car as your place to sleep/camp out of then you are allowed to have open weapon for self defense, same as if you are in you home. for the duration of your camping trip, your camp is your home. And just for the record, AR does not stand for Automatic Rifle, it was the name of the Co. that first manufactured the weapon, ARmalite, Colt bought them out and retained the AR designation. All other manufacturers Make AR
style rifles.
I have a friend that was camping in his camper 200 ft off the road, his rifle was loaded for protection, a ca f&g person was checking guns and he told HER that it was loaded, she ejected the shell and closed the bolt and put it back in the case loaded again with the safety off. He took it to court with a lawyer and lost, the lawyer said if he wanted to spend more $ he could fight it some more but was just throwing away his money

I have a friend that was camping in his camper 200 ft off the road, his rifle was loaded for protection, a ca f&g person was checking guns and he told HER that it was loaded, she ejected the shell and closed the bolt and put it back in the case loaded again with the safety off. He took it to court with a lawyer and lost, the lawyer said if he wanted to spend more $ he could fight it some more but was just throwing away his money

Pretty simple call....If they're going to write you for leaning a loaded gun against a vehicle, then they're most certainly going to write you for a loaded gun in a vehicle....Lawyer was right.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu