Hello from Montana...2019

Probably the 1st dove opener I've ever missed, but that's OK...Being in Montana the upland season also opens for huns, sharpies and grouse...Met up with some former SoCal boys (Shaun, Josh, & Steven)...We got up early and headed for the mountains...After 20 miles of bad road (literally), the Expedition & I had made it to the top...Unfortunately, the opener was on a week-end and every turn-out had a truck parked at it...We finally found an area that was pretty open and ONLY 1 Toyota...With 5 guys they decided to go one way, and I decided to go another...Found a pretty good 2 track that seemed to not have a quad or side by side down it yet...Walked about a 1/2 mile with Trigger and saw tracks on the dirt road...Good thing...Got the top of the ridge and there was a pretty open area to my left...Trigger and I walk down into it and he instantly flushes a bird...One in the bag, spruce grouse...Got back to the 2 track and walked around the mountain...Trigger flushes another down below me, but it was in the thick stuff and no shot...We then walked up the ridge to head back towards where I got the 1st bird...We hadn't climbed 50 yds...When Trigger flushed a big old blue grouse...1st shot threw the trees missed, but a more open shot found the mark...This blue was almost twice as big as the spruce grouse...By the time we got back to the trucks, the rest of the boys were ready to go...They had gotten 1...Did I mention it was almost 80 degrees at 6,800 ft...Tough on Trigger and the old man...lol

After heading to Shaun's, we did the nap thing...Then headed up another rough road to a new area...Poor car bottomed out twice...Yikes!...Finally get to the "secret" spot and this time we started down the road together...Mistake for yours truly...Trigger flushes two blues and because the guys are slightly in front no shot...They take a couple, but miss...Walk another 45 minutes or so and nothing (lots of bear & moose sign)...As we're heading back Steve gets another shot coming down the hill, but misses again...Shaun cuts in front and flushes 6 or so...By the time I get there the action is over, but Trigger makes a great find and retrieve of one that sailed down hill...Fun, fun day and we end up with 5.

This morning Shaun & I tried our hand at a little dove shooting...The place we went had been hammered the day before...So, I didn't expect much...Good thing...lol...Did get a trifecta...Mourning dove, Euro dove, and a rock dove (they literally live in rocks here)…5 different species in 2 days...Pretty cool.

Got back to Ronnie's and will start scouting for a white-tail doe (only tags that were available with archery).

ps...Trump country.... :heart:

.010.JPG026.JPG018.JPG036.JPG
049.JPG050.JPG044.JPG005.JPG032.JPG

When I grow up I hope to get to do those things like you Steve. Looks great ,the bears I don't know. Keep the pics coming..
Be safe

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
Right on Steve !!! Looks like an amazing time bro keep the pics coming

Fabian,

Montana can't sell guns to Californian's...Ammo next?

Well.... they can, but it has to be shipped to your local FFL, then the background check can start and gun jail begins. Unless the firearm in question is not legal in commiefornia.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
What's the deal with that one deer forelimb sticking out of the pile of rocks? What's that about?

What's the deal with that one deer forelimb sticking out of the pile of rocks? What's that about?

That's a bull elk at my friend's place...Entrance to his driveway...Other than that, just a conversation piece.

Last edited:
Well.... they can, but it has to be shipped to your local FFL, then the background check can start and gun jail begins. Unless the firearm in question is not legal in commiefornia.

Didn't ask about shipping it, but Scheels and all the pawn shops won't even talk to me about buying them...My cousin can buy them in about 10 minutes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu