Hello from Montana...2019

Decided to do a little drive about late in the evening yesterday...Game rich area and close to home...Not much public here, but there is about 80 nearby (wheat & river bottom)...White-tail doe tag in hand...Now, if we could drop at least into the 70's...Farmers are going balls to the wall...This combine is doing my public spot...Should be ready in a couple of days...All these pix are within 1 mile of each other.

.021.JPG039.JPG074.JPG076.JPG118.JPG131.JPG066.JPG053.JPG112.JPG038.JPG

Last edited:
Real good day...Drove around looking for huns & sharpies, but found a BMA field that had a few doves in it instead...Before that though, did the drive out to Freezeout & Benton Lake NWR...Lots of birds in both locations...Water looks great at Freezeout, but Benton is dropping fast (of course, the closed zone is full... :mad: )...Same old BS with a refuge mgr that doesn't give a hoot about hunting on HIS precious refuge.

Pretty happy with 14 doves...Lost 3...It sucks not hunting with Trigger...The vet up here found what appeared to be a black foxtail in his eye...Now, he's a conehead and on the shelf till he heals...:pensive:

ps..Oh, and for a area that doesn't suppose to have many rattler snakes...Here's #2...:D

pss...Knew I should've brought my bow...This doe walked within 40 yds of me while shooting doves.

.013.JPG028.JPG038.JPG040.JPG008.JPG004.JPG020.JPG

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ok hatch. Guessing fourth one from the left is your fav.

Dove magnet you are Steve. Great trip. Thanks for the updates......huns and sharpies all colored up this time of year? When does the waterfowl open up?

Real good day...Drove around looking for huns & sharpies, but found a BMA field that had a few doves in it instead...Before that though, did the drive out to Freezeout & Benton Lake NWR...Lots of birds in both locations...Water looks great at Freezeout, but Benton is dropping fast (of course, the closed zone is full... :mad: )...Same old BS with a refuge mgr that doesn't give a hoot about hunting on HIS precious refuge.

Pretty happy with 14 doves...Lost 3...It sucks not hunting with Trigger...The vet up here found what appeared to be a black foxtail in his eye...Now, he's conehead and on the shelf till he heals...:pensive:

ps..Oh, and for a area that doesn't suppose to have many rattler snakes...Here's #2...:D

pss...Knew I should've brought my bow...This doe walked within 40 yds of me while shooting doves.

.View attachment 40836View attachment 40837View attachment 40838View attachment 40839View attachment 40841View attachment 40842View attachment 40843
Awesome pictures Steve! And nice haul! send some of that mojo my way will ya? Going to try my hand at dove hunting the next 2 days. The dogs look like they are having a blast!

Steve, The prairie rattler is not so toxic so while not a good thing for you or Trigger both of you would probably survive a bite given proper timely treatment, not like the crazy dangerous one's we have in So Cal i.e southern's and Mojave green's. P.S. the USFWS is becoming full of tree huggers, Once again as you have stated previously we must unite and voice our wants. All you out there reading this and sitting on your hands from all of us that have been in this game for the long haul it's going away big time and if you newbies do not take note and act it will go away before your hunting career ends because of legislation imposed which means your children will have none of the opportunities you have now. Steve is and has been the canary in coal mine on this. listen, learn and react or watch it go away..

Ok hatch. Guessing fourth one from the left is your fav.

Dove magnet you are Steve. Great trip. Thanks for the updates......huns and sharpies all colored up this time of year? When does the waterfowl open up?

Sharpies & huns are pretty colorless anytime...Gray, tan, white, with huns being the prettier of the two...Only colored up fowl I saw were widgeon...About the only way to tell most drake mallards is their green bill...Gadwalls with a black bill.

Waterfowl season opens 3 weeks from today...Sept. 28th.

Thanks Fred...Someone said prairie rattlers are protected here...This canary can still sing, but the voice is getting tired.

.093.JPG

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Steve, great pictures.
Go get a used bow at the pawn shop and wack that doe.
I can take that bow what you come back. ;)

Decided to do a little drive about late in the evening yesterday...Game rich area and close to home...Not much public here, but there is about 80 nearby (wheat & river bottom)...White-tail doe tag in hand...Now, if we could drop at least into the 70's...Farmers are going balls to the wall...This combine is doing my public spot...Should be ready in a couple of days...All these pix are within 1 mile of each other.

.View attachment 40814View attachment 40815View attachment 40818View attachment 40819View attachment 40821View attachment 40823View attachment 40817View attachment 40824View attachment 40820View attachment 40829
My God it is Gods country.. I wish I was there too.. nice beauty .. final frontier

Only in Montana (well probably in some other hunter friendly states), can a guy buy his 1st shotgun at a pawn shop....Then go out and shoot a limit of doves...lol

Met a couple young men up here a couple of days ago while dove shooting...Yesterday rained all day, but this morning I thought I had patterned some white-tail...So, I was going to try and fork a doe...Did see one, but stayed a 100+ yds away...While I was sitting there, the boys called...Hey, I think we found a dove spot...Cool...Met them at Dylan's house in Great Falls...It's now 10:00 am and despite a lot of doves moving, I suggested we hit it in the afternoon...They said, they'd like to include another kid, if it was all right...Hell, it's your spot, invite him...Well, he shows up with this turn of the century side by side with double triggers...So, I say, I think it's time for a new gun...Let's have lunch and hit a couple of pawn shops...1st shop we go to, they have a Mossberg Ulti-mag in Max 5...How much...$275.00...How about $225.00...It's a deal...10 minutes later, we're out the door.

It's now 1:30 pm, and we head back to Dylan's...Hang around and at about 3:30 pm, the birds start heading for a wheat field...I introduced these boys to a dove spinner and 45 doves later, we were done.

ps...This spot has both muleys and White-tail...Had 2 small bucks walk within 32 yds of me with bow in hand...WITW...If it doesn't rain, I'll be after them W-T's again tomorrow...Then to Alberta Wednesday morning.

.024.JPG005.JPG002.JPG027.JPG030.JPG

Only in Montana (well probably in some other hunter friendly states), can a guy buy his 1st shotgun at a pawn shop....Then go out and shoot a limit of doves...lol

Met a couple young men up here a couple of days ago while dove shooting...Yesterday rained all day, but this morning I thought I had patterned some white-tail...So, I was going to try and fork a doe...Did see one, but stayed a 100+ yds away...While I was sitting there, the boys called...Hey, I think we found a dove spot...Cool...Met them at Dylan's house in Great Falls...It's now 10:00 am and despite a lot of doves moving, I suggested we hit it in the afternoon...They said, they'd like to include another kid, if it was all right...Hell, it's your spot, invite him...Well, he shows up with this turn of the century side by side with double triggers...So, I say, I think it's time for a new gun...Let's have lunch and hit a couple of pawn shops...1st shop we go to, they have a Mossberg Ulti-mag in Max 5...How much...$275.00...How about $225.00...It's a deal...10 minutes later, we're out the door.

It's now 1:30 pm, and we head back to Dylan's...Hang around and at about 3:30 pm, the birds start heading for a wheat field...I introduced these boys to a dove spinner and 45 doves later, we were done.

ps...This spot has both muleys and White-tail...Had 2 small bucks walk within 32 yds of me with bow in hand...WITW...If it doesn't rain, I'll be after them W-T's again tomorrow...Then to Alberta Wednesday morning.

.View attachment 40872View attachment 40874View attachment 40875View attachment 40877View attachment 40878
That’s awesome Steve.
I hope those kids know how fortunate they are for going out with such a mentor!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Fabian,

It's always my pleasure...Really good guys...All from Cali originally...They've only jump shot ducks (& 2 swans)...Look forward to getting out with them DECOY hunting... :blush:

ps...They learned quickly about picking up their hulls after Friday...;)

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu