Hot Tips!

I bring a pool net but same basic principle. Great tip right here for sure!
Pool net was my first thought. I have a buddy with a pool business and he gave me an old pool net to use, but it was quite heavy and only broke down to about 8 feet and didn’t fit well in the back of my SUV. That gave rise to my home made experiment. Anything to cut down on wasted birds is a great thing.

When rabbit hunting. Early season especially. I use a bird vest to hold my game. Frees up my hands.
But more importantly I carry two small
Trash bags.
Here's why, darn fleas. Sometimes the rabbits are loaded with them.
Especially cotton tails.
Keep them in a trash bag and closed
Up until ready to process them.
It will keep the fleas off you.
In addition don't forget the ice cooler
And ice to store that processed
Rabbit meat.
Remember fleas transmit disease.

Last edited:
If you use one of those fabric "ammo wallets" to hold your extra shells, do not put shells into the outside 2 slots of either side. I noticed when I did that, me with my full packs, the bullet tips on those outside rounds would get bent/damaged. Since I started not filling-in the two outer-most slits, hasn't happened since.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Larry brought up subject about basically about an incident he had while Hunting. How prepared are we.
So while I do not consider my self an expert or a medic. Ect. I thought I would bring it up. Mainly when solo.
Ducky said it best.
Here is video link. Time to critique it.

So is everyone tired of this thread?
Or should we continue it.
Look for turkey in riparian areas.
Lots of trees, and water.
You got trees, lots of big trees

I know you all have vacuum sealers. If you can get your hand on 4” kerlx rolls and 4” ace wraps pack those as your bleeder kits. If you have access to some of that Theraband they use in physical therapy (Black is heaviest) that can double as an occlusive dressing if you God forbid ever get a chest or abdominal wound. It also can be used with sticks to splint sling and immobilize fractures. Best of all it can be used as a pressure dressing and in extremis wrapped wide and tight for a tourniquet.
On subject of fractures splint above and below the suspect fractured site and immobilize the joint above and below the fracture. Keep circulation to fingers by pinching fingernails to ensure capillary refil.
Stay thirsty gents!

I know you all have vacuum sealers. If you can get your hand on 4” kerlx rolls and 4” ace wraps pack those as your bleeder kits. If you have access to some of that Theraband they use in physical therapy (Black is heaviest) that can double as an occlusive dressing if you God forbid ever get a chest or abdominal wound. It also can be used with sticks to splint sling and immobilize fractures. Best of all it can be used as a pressure dressing and in extremis wrapped wide and tight for a tourniquet.
On subject of fractures splint above and below the suspect fractured site and immobilize the joint above and below the fracture. Keep circulation to fingers by pinching fingernails to ensure capillary refil.
Stay thirsty gents!
And yes the video is pretty spot on. Nice find!

The only time I've ever used a GPS other than to checkout my breadcrumb trail when I got home, was just to double-check my exiting path out of an area during dark one time when looping back around on a slightly different trail on the return. That's it. Either way would get me back to the truck, but I started feeling that the return path trail was gonna go outta the way by a bit, confirmed my hunch, and made a correction by pioneering back over to the other line I'd normally exit on. Learn to recognize early when you're feeling that "hunch" and act on it!

Most of the time I've Google Mapped the snot outta where I'm going to be going, and all those years of bombin' along on DirtBikes over large expanses in the Desert I guess just got my brain wired for taking in all the landmark recognition and my spatial position between all the various large landmark features. That... and all the extensive quick memorization of the terrains in 3D first-person shooter games in order to commit them to memory quickly so I could know them like the back of my hand rapidly in order to exploit certain positional features within the maps.

Also, whenever I'm going to try to explore/scout a new area. I consider that day a sacrificial test-run into the area where I insure that I arrive just AFTER sunrise, so my entry into the area is all done during light so I can commit the lay of the land to memory.

Also that way, if current conditions create the need for an alternate creek crossing that looks weird and like it could be possibly tricky to find when returning during dark, I'll go ahead and wisely shove a reflective push-pin way up high on a tree to mark where to turn in. I've found that if you use marking tape, or if the push-pin it's not high up... lotta times some other a$$hole takes the damn things back off while you're back up in there!!! (I wish those people a horrible painful death) They don't seem to do it as much with the push-pins, since they aren't as obvious during daylight. Highly recommend those push-pins.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu