Hot Tips!

Sitting here kind of bored. So I figured that contribute something.
I wrap a small ribbon on my compound bow, so that I con monitor the wind direction. I normally hunt the big pines
And wind is notorious for cross winds and swirls. Changes in matter of seconds. It blows my stalk or still Hunting. Ugggg.

Reactions: TRICER
An other problem due to notorious high winds it creates Havoc on my archery shots. Bad wind drift.
I was hard core fixed blade arrow heads. But now I use mechanical broad heads for those longer shots.
And windy conditions.
Also I try to get heavier graphite arrows .

ALWAYS carry a pain-med GREATER THAN just Advil or Tyleno....IF your Dr is sketchy about giving you an Rx for one of the popular Opiods... then say "Well how about Tylenol #3's then? However many you are Ok with giving me." (these are the ones with Codeine in them, which ironically, Codeine IS an opiate, but since it says "Tylenol" out in front of it, there is less stigma associated to it. Typically they'll be fine with writing you an Rx for like 10 or 15, just explain to them that it's for when you go out Backpack Hunting/QUOTE]

Sorry, I just think this is stupid. I’m no doctor... but No. Tylenol 1000mg at time of injury is ok.
Man up.

As I get older. The mileage lol.
I bring the very minimal what I need.
For day hikes I bring less.
Minimal is med kit, cordage, water snacks, knife. Compass, phone. Some type of fire starter.

Those cheap stretchy shotgun shell holders that claim to hold 12g and 20g don't actually hold 20g tightly. For my 20g setup I put in an extra line of stitching to tighten them up. I've got a buttstock holder that holds 7 and two 5 round buttstock holders that I modded to fit onto the left hand strap of my backpack. Beyond that more shells are in the pack. If I need to take the pack off to get to those I'm having a happy day and probably need to take the pack off to stuff birds in there anyway too.

Maybe I just have it filled with water and use it constantly but I barely ever clean my water bladder.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ducky
Please explain,
Advil is good for inflammation, Tylenol good for pain.
Certain NSAIDS also inhibit the clotting cascade. I only prescribe Mobic and don’t take vitamin M before deploying. Just like pre-op directions tell you what not to take.
Hunts, especially solo are considered a deployment to me. We know we are to hunt slower and smarter and not take chances because you are solo. A wrong move with a knife and you’ll be in a world of hurt if you can’t clot properly and your tampon fails because you didn’t apply direct pressure with it.
G Dog manned up and took the pain. If you take narcotics and drive, you are doing so under the influence. Extra strength Tylenol or however many pills it takes you to get up to 1000mg will take the edge off.
I won’t skimp on MED gear if I go solo and I make sure I know how to use it. Just putting chitosan gauze in a wound doesn’t fix you without direct pressure for a couple minutes.
Learning and practiceing how to splint fractures with minimal equipment is priceless. Ice to decrease swelling and circulation also aids in analgesic relief.
Man up, fight through it, don’t be a victim, it’s a mindset. There is no one remedy, no pill, just embrace the suck. G did.

I got lucky. It was just an upper appendage. There's other places I go which are all downhill going into them. Which means they are all uphill getting out of there! One is about 7 miles each way. And with this hip-socket thing I've got, which normally isn't an issue, once it reaches a certain amout of distance on the uphill it *can* get down-right debilitating. And I got to thinking, if I ever broke a leg while down in there. I'd HAVE to have the help of an opiate to make it back outta there. No way otherwise. The distance and exertion is too great since it's unfortunately all uphill getting the heck out of there.

Also... the other thing I became very very aware of immediately is how shattering that wrist then made me not realistically able to wield that (heavy lever-action) rifle in self-defense, not really very well doable with just one arm. Try it sometime. Basically you instantly realize that you've just become defenseless prey. And that if something like a bear wanted to take you out. They soo totally could now.

RE: Narcotics and driving. A man's got to know his drugs. You've got to know your tolerance levels of any substances you use or ingest. Unless you're a very light individual... having one Tylenol #3, or one Vicodin, or one Percoset is not going to be causing you driving impairment. Not if you have the pain going on for it to be working against. And if the pain is bad enough you need 2. You're probably not gonna be able to drive a vehicle anyway. Or at least no more than is necessary to reach help.

That was a normal sized bob cat track. There is a HUGE one west of Angeles Shooting Range. 'Bout 90+ lbs. Tried to bump my car off the road.

The discussion of slippery iced up conditions is good topic.
I suggest two items of importance.
One is walking or hiking trekking poles
It's important to have 3 points of contact on the ground.
The other is hiking cleats that strap
on the hiking boots. Helps with iced
Up slippery surfaces.
I hiked an a road that was totally iced up. And it was treacherous.
Picked up a couple of sticks as walking
Sticks to help steady my self.
Crazy slippery.
Tell us your thoughts and gear.

Drew,

HP is great for a lot of things and all my vehicles carry a bottle.....I've used it on Trigger's feet many times for cuts.

Matt,

I have a million pill bottles......lol

My tip.....For guys that like to use breathable waders.....Buy a can or two of Flex-Seal.....As cracks or seams start to leak.....Spray them.....I have found that the black is better than the clear.....Also, Shoe Goo is great for the bigger cracks on boots.

ps.....Flex-Sealed the bottom of one of the back packs I use for fowling.....Dry as a bone inside.
HP also works great for minor cuts
And scrapes on us lol.
Seals the minor wounds.
Alcohol to disinfect then HP
To seal up. Than band aid.

HP also works great for minor cuts
And scrapes on us lol.
Seals the minor wounds.
Alcohol to disinfect then HP
To seal up. Than band aid.

Hydrogen peroxide does not “seal” wounds. It kills living cells via oxidation. If it used to clean a wound, which is fine, it should not be used repeatedly as it will also kill the new tissue that is growing in the wound.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu