How did you guys do on Upland Opener?

Three of us ran into two coveys of chuker ten to fifteen birds each east of Ridgecrest and managed to down six between us.
Good to hear. I've been concerned some of the guzzlers out there could of been damaged from the quakes... some probably were I imagine.

Opener... took 4 down recovered only 3, the one that was winged went into a hole on side of ditch and I couldn't get it. Took them home marinated them in Ramey's meat seasoning grilled in the afternoon and my son (7yrs) and I snacked on them while we watched Meat Eater on Netflix. They tasted so good. Think I'll go tomorrow and pick up a few more quail for Sunday football snacks. 6 shells used, 15 minutes from home... I love the IV.IMG_8963(1).jpg

Took my 9 year old son “the
25b16f6dfc6ab852069563cf3d9c69c7.jpg
1ff8084096ba9046c9300417e69291f3.jpg
dog trainer” and French Brittany Gigi out for quail opener here in San Diego. Got into a nice covey and shot a bird with son by my side. He got to watch as feathers flew into the air and thought it looked just like the movies... but louder. Proudest papa hunting moment to date with my boy.
fce12a6a8c42f4c0388b09e4df3aa886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I birddogged for my old man. He got 3, but we couldn’t find two of them so there was no point losing any more. We need a REAL dog

Steve , Love the videos , quail are all around but spread out do to good conditions , and lots of water in the hills . Tell us about your video set up and where to buy one . Looks like a good time !!!!

@Smokey58 you know it! The IV has been slowly becoming my go to for wing shooting, but I still love chasing those buggers in the rougher hill/mountain terrain around Kern/ Lake Isabella

@Smokey58 you know it! The IV has been slowly becoming my go to for wing shooting, but I still love chasing those buggers in the rougher hill/mountain terrain around Kern/ Lake Isabella
I am going to look for Chukar NE of Lake isabella this saturday. My buddy is getting his RV this week so I look forward to some IV overnighters for pheasant/quail in Nov and Dec.

Steve , Love the videos , quail are all around but spread out do to good conditions , and lots of water in the hills . Tell us about your video set up and where to buy one . Looks like a good time !!!!
For a camera I'm using a Hero 7 black. But if somebody didn't have one already I'd get the Hero 8 Black that just came out and do the trade up program from GoPro for a $100 off. That's what I did last year when I got my Hero 7 they literally will take any busted up old camera that at one time cost more then $100. I sent them a broken 2011 Sony Cybershot for the trade up which was worthless to me otherwise.

Then the camera is mounted to a custom headstrap to get the nice centered lower bore angle on the gun when shooting. Basically I hacked of the existing mount and replaced it with a curved adhesive mount and ball joint mount. If you look at my channel I did a vid showing how to do it. This basically allows you to fit the camera to how you shoulder the gun.

And supposedly something is coming the the mail to improve sound but I've not gotten it yet.

Reactions: dhntr48
Never hunted Gambel’s quail yet. I heard it’s hard to get within range of them without a dog.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu