How did you guys do on Upland Opener?

Never hunted Gambel’s quail yet. I heard it’s hard to get within range of them without a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones I killed the other day flushed less then 10 feet away from me

Reactions: Driz
I mean if I have to, I’m a fast guy️ but yeah less than 10 feet from me sounds more ideal lol

I think their holding tight because its early season and they haven't been shot at. Depending on hunting pressure they will start running more and avoid flushing....

Never hunted Gambel’s quail yet. I heard it’s hard to get within range of them without a dog.

Most of the birds flushed just in front of us or behind us after we passed them.

I am going to look for Chukar NE of Lake isabella this saturday. My buddy is getting his RV this week so I look forward to some IV overnighters for pheasant/quail in Nov and Dec.
Let me know how the chukar hunt turns out. I’ve been itching to give that area a shot. I think I know roughly where you might be hitting.

I will report me findings. The west Mohave is vast so I am pacing myself, different sector each time I go out and later when it cools down we will start working the east mohave.

Last edited:
We bumped a 20 plus Chukar covey and then we tried to bracket and cut em off at the pass but they just started running us into the ground ridge over ridge. We found a 5 bird covey in afternoon but they flushed crazy. Most if the birds were big and chunky but they were skittish as hell and none of them were on the flats, all were on the walls of canyons.Never hunted so hard in me life.
No birds in the vest but a great day...

We bumped a 20 plus Chukar covey and then we tried to bracket and cut em off at the pass but they just started running us into the ground ridge over ridge. We found a 5 bird covey in afternoon but they flushed crazy. Most if the birds were big and chunky but they were skittish as hell and none of them were on the flats, all were on the walls of canyons.Never hunted so hard in me life.
No birds in the vest but a great day...

A classic sign of older or hunted birds...Many times they don't call much either...Great news though that you even flushed some coveys.

If anybody wants to kill 20 mins here are the first 11 birds I down'd and recovered from the Sat and Sun of opener last weekend in video form. Some pretty nice feather clouds between the two vids, some of my better footage for sure.

Hey Steve, awesome videos. so awesome, I commented on the latest youtube video a week or 2 ago, username Rob Lance. I was just cruising this site for some bird info and stumbled on to this thread and made the connection that you are the youtube guy ive been watching. well, watching to mostly to learn the habitat and bird, not so much the guy.

small world.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu