Hunting muleys on public land, so. Cal

Every one new to California hunting must read the California big game hunting digest.
Wealth of information and pay attention to the Hunting zones statistics. The ratio of harvest. Then the explained tag information.
Good information.
LB

Nice Josh.. u have a particular buck in mind for rifle season?

Jason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have one area with that 3x that I will definitely hunt for rifle season, but I also will be hunting areas that historically have bucks during the rut. Some of the areas that didn’t have many bucks during archery always seem to have bucks rolling through. I also have some areas with big groups of does which will definitly be something I’ll hone in on. Definitely a different tactic during the general season. I try to hunt where the does are.

Josh

I have one area with that 3x that I will definitely hunt for rifle season, but I also will be hunting areas that historically have bucks during the rut. Some of the areas that didn’t have many bucks during archery always seem to have bucks rolling through. I also have some areas with big groups of does which will definitly be something I’ll hone in on. Definitely a different tactic during the general season. I try to hunt where the does are.

Josh
Our property does the same. We have does all year. When the rut hits we have bucks here often.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Same here.....I could care less about the smaller bucks......Too me, it's all about keeping the does around......Many times it's a good acorn crop (some this year), sometimes it's apples/pears (almost zero this year), and like this year, it's just having a permanent/good water source for dry times.

This is obviously private property......But the routine is the same on public......Find the does, find the bucks.

Last edited:
As general season for 2018 D16 approaches. And other zones are in process. I hope these post by everyone has been helpful.
Steve's last statement is very true.
Keep or stay with the does during the rut. And you will be in the gold.
Stay as high as possible. Watch the deer trails. Focus on deer movement. Ears twitch, tails, look for horns or a patch of white.
Good luck and fortune.
May you have many well executed hunts. Do a list of what you need.
It's always process improvement.
Learning curve never ends.
New territory starts.
Good luck to you all.
Lee
P.S. 20 years go's by fast enjoy
While you can.

Steve let me scout his spot last week. Blurry pic, but you get the point.
41e0eac00897c9fc20b270604bc7aa4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I know that spot! I recognize the dead trees behind the heads of those does. :)

Not to mention... wanting a kill soo badly... that you're willing to sit... motionless... for an entire day, potentially seeing nothing the whole day. And this might happen for several of the many days you commit to a spot that has blessed you in the past.

It can be hard on your spirits... but since you've now had a taste of that rush that comes with a successful kill... you're willing to subject yourself and your joints to the ridiculous pain and soreness... and you ask the universe for just one more chance to have something come walking by. And you tell the universe "Anything legal, I'm not picky, I just want to get a kill and have something successful to celebrate right now. That's all I'm asking for."

Not to mention... wanting a kill soo badly... that you're willing to sit... motionless... for an entire day, potentially seeing nothing the whole day. And this might happen for several of the many days you commit to a spot that has blessed you in the past.

It can be hard on your spirits... but since you've now had a taste of that rush that comes with a successful kill... you're willing to subject yourself and your joints to the ridiculous pain and soreness... and you ask the universe for just one more chance to have something come walking by. And you tell the universe "Anything legal, I'm not picky, I just want to get a kill and have something successful to celebrate right now. That's all I'm asking for."

When I was young I could sit still for 3-6 hours and not even take a break.
Now I have tough time sitting and hour. Part of my past success was to go every weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Religiously morning and afternoon. Some times it would take 3 or more weeks before I would see deer. And a buck. General season was longer then. That really helped.

So I have to get my self in better shape this year. My diet has really improved my health. Need to work out and do a lot more hiking this year.
Point is now is the time to start scouting and hitting the trails.
I have areas I want to check for sign and looking for new prospects.
Mind over matter. If at 63 1/2 I can do it you younger guys should be a lot easier. My deal is I take my time and pace my self. And know my capability.
Start slow and easy. Work up to it.
My best hiking is in fall and spring.
It cool, less snakes. And no heat exhaustion. LOL.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Get out and do what you can do. I think the exercise is also good for your mental health as well. I have a neighbor that’s 80 years old and he walks 6 miles at a time. I’ll see him out there 3-4 times a week. He’s a great inspiration for me to keep at it.

Walking on flat terrain with easy tails or dirt roads. Is no issue.
5 miles easily. Hiking steep mountains is going to be my goal again. Reverting back to old school tech. Stuff on my belt less wieght on my back.
Thanks for the encouragement Daryl.
Best
LP

Oh trust me, I feel you on the age thing. It isn't always the age, but sometimes the mileage. I use to work out like a Beast. That and several Moto and MTB crashes and all that kinda stuff adds up and takes its toll.

Also I caught Rheumatic Fever (-aka- Scarlet Fever) as a kid. So my joints aren't all that great to begin with and I take NSAIDS everyday.

Eventually I gotta schedule to have them take back out all these screws and metal from my left wrist. Had a slip and fall while out looking for bear day after Christmas in 2015. That wrist hurts all the damn time when using it now. I feel for certain lookng at the xrays it's because of soft-tissues rubbing on the screwheads and the edges of the plate. But being a Dad and head of household... there's like almost never a good time to choose do to something like that, ya know? These damn b!tches don't recognize and realize just how much isht a Man takes care of around a damn house. I'm telling you!

Here is a nice article for the newbies. I would buy this guys book. He knows what he is talking about. Note this a rough guide line.
Walk the ridges. Look a cross the draws and up the hills.
With to days glass it's almost cheating. I use to do this with no glass. But if I had. I may of seen that monster.
Best to all
LB

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/how-to-find-big-mule-deer-areas-using-google-earth#gs.d4KyCS0

P.S. what is really important is this.
He shows what feeding areas and bedding areas look like using Google maps. Potential holding
Spots for big deer.
When I look at an area I instinctively look for these spots.

Edit: here is a good read. This author drills in why they couldn't see dear
And backs up the post by our veteran hunters on this board.
About glassing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/modern...odern-hunters.com/mule-deer-hunting-mistakes/

Hmmph... you'll notice he doesn't present a Howto for hunting vast seas of Chapparal. Pssh.

You don't stomp thru it. You sort of figure out how to weave thru it. Sometimes you have to sorta push thru it, just remember to close your mouth and hold your breath and squint when you do though. Those damn "greasewoods" as my brother calls them explode with clouds of bark dust.

But usually there is a way around the tighter clumps of it.

Reactions: Germain520
Larry you have good articulate discription of Hunting.
Take those years of experience and write to words.
I want to thank you.. for adding good articles
LB

You don't stomp thru it. You sort of figure out how to weave thru it. Sometimes you have to sorta push thru it, just remember to close your mouth and hold your breath and squint when you do though. Those damn "greasewoods" as my brother calls them explode with clouds of bark dust.

But usually there is a way around the tighter clumps of it.
LOL ya after while you kind smarten up. I chose paths of least resistance. When first started I tried plow thru it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu