IV Dove Question

Lenny

Oct 24, 2021
I’ve been hunting dove in SD for the past few years and I’m wanting to branch out to the valley this year. I scouted out there yesterday and I saw a bunch of the signs that say “this field is open to public hunting” but I’m curious about trespassing laws on private fields. I always hear that if a field isn’t posted, it’s fair game to hunt but does anyone have a link or reference to the legal regs on that? Last thing I want is to get chased out of a field or get a ticket because someone on the internet said it was legal to hunt fields that aren’t posted.

Lenny,

It is NOT a written law...It's just always been OK to hunt unposted fields as long as it's NOT a rowed crop (Lettuce, cabbage, sugar beets, etc.)....And that was mostly for pheasant, when there was some...In all my years out there, I know of no one getting a citation for hunting non posted fields...Do be aware of the DFW laws...150 yds from any occupied dwelling, outbuilding, or barn is the one most common in the IV...You can ask for permission and be legal.

There is a 50 yd law in Imperial Co....Good luck

11.08.010 - Discharge of firearms within fifty yards of any public highway.
SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTION
It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or for any person, firm or corporation to cause or permit any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm to be shot, fired or discharged upon, along, across or within fifty (50) yards of any state maintained highway or county paved or unpaved maintained highway except when necessary to do so in protection of life or property.

Reactions: Lenny and khunts
Lenny,

It is NOT a written law...It's just always been OK to hunt unposted fields as long as it's NOT a rowed crop (Lettuce, cabbage, sugar beets, etc.)....And that was mostly for pheasant, when there was some...In all my years out there, I know of no one getting a citation for hunting non posted fields...Do be aware of the DFW laws...150 yds from any occupied dwelling, outbuilding, or barn is the one most common in the IV...You can ask for permission and be legal.

There is a 50 yd law in Imperial Co....Good luck

11.08.010 - Discharge of firearms within fifty yards of any public highway.
SHARE LINK TO SECTIONPRINT SECTIONDOWNLOAD (DOCX) OF SECTIONSEMAIL SECTION
It is unlawful for any person, other than a peace officer acting in official line of duty, to shoot, fire or discharge or for any person, firm or corporation to cause or permit any rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver, or firearm to be shot, fired or discharged upon, along, across or within fifty (50) yards of any state maintained highway or county paved or unpaved maintained highway except when necessary to do so in protection of life or property.
Perfect thanks man!

I was told the county maintained dirt roads can be tricky. The LEO I talked with basically said any named road that CAN be enforced but rarely is without a complaint

I probably don't need to say it, but, also stay out if...
The field is fenced, freshly planted or being irrigated.
Unless you own the land, you/we are a guest on it. Please respect it as such. Each year I've seen more and more posted land. I've hunted the I.V. and Palo Verde Valley since the later 50's. First with my dad, then on my own and the huntable land seem to shrink more these last 20 years than ever before.
Good Luck.

I probably don't need to say it, but, also stay out if...
The field is fenced, freshly planted or being irrigated.
Unless you own the land, you/we are a guest on it. Please respect it as such. Each year I've seen more and more posted land. I've hunted the I.V. and Palo Verde Valley since the later 50's. First with my dad, then on my own and the huntable land seem to shrink more these last 20 years than ever before.
Good Luck.
I'll add to that, seek out the land owner before using their property and ask for permission and ask if you can lend a hand. Pick up your's and anyone else's trash, leave it better than you found it. It might get you and others another opportunity to use the land for recreation rather than be posted. Bottom line - leave nothing but footprint's if you use another persons land and do what you can to promote good sportsmanship and stewardship of the land if that means speaking to others that are present for the reasons you are there.

It's my understanding that IV has gone by if it's not posted it's OK.
As for the rest of the state the legal terminology they use is under cultivation, enclosed by fence, or posted (and there's a distance specific.. like they can't have signs miles apart)

It's my understanding that IV has gone by if it's not posted it's OK.
As for the rest of the state the legal terminology they use is under cultivation, enclosed by fence, or posted (and there's a distance specific.. like they can't have signs miles apart)

3 signs to the mile.............. ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu