National Forest closures

My 1st job was a s a trap boy at Dominquez trap & skeet range.....Buck fiddy an hour.....Old friends pulled strings for me to get it...White privilege?,,,. :joy:
"Hard work as the key to success" was listed as "Whiteness" in that Smithsonian display...well, before they took it down. It's hard to believe, the direction this country has taken. SMH.

Maybe someone touched on this somewhere in this Homer’s Odyssey of a thread, but The first time I shotgun-hunted rabbit after the steel ammo law went into effect, I was really concerned about the sparks I saw flying up out of the rocky dirt. Then it hit me, the steel ammo fraud is another gateway toward banning hunting in CA. Make them use steel, which causes sparks, which start forest fires, which equals no more hunting on public land.

Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get me.
Seems like a plausible envirofascist move to me. Another conspiracy theory I've been thinking is that all these moves are designed to discourage us from buying CA hunting licenses and tags. Less revenue and less hunting interest would justify them to close seasons based on there being reduced CDFW resources (wardens) to patrol the hills. Call me Alex Jones but these are the wacky but possible scenarios that could happen with the Left in control.

Seems like a plausible envirofascist move to me. Another conspiracy theory I've been thinking is that all these moves are designed to discourage us from buying CA hunting licenses and tags. Less revenue and less hunting interest would justify them to close seasons based on there being reduced CDFW resources (wardens) to patrol the hills. Call me Alex Jones but these are the wacky but possible scenarios that could happen with the Left in control.

Another reason to get Newsom out of office...It's a start to possibly get some folks in the Fish & Game Commission that actually hunt & fish...It wouldn't hurt to get some in CDFW too.

On the latest meat eater podcast, sadly a number of fires are started by hunter's camp / warming fires in other states.

That said...money $$ with the current leadership. Yosemite makes money, so it stays open...they already have our hunting $$ so no need to keep it open.

National parks are administered by the National Park Service and are not actually part of the National Forest System. The forest service does not have the ability to close them, it is entirely up the to park service whether they close or not.

Reactions: sportyg
I get that np are not part of the nfs. It just seems very hypocritical that they close forest 1000 miles away but a forest right next to the fires they seem ok that hikers, campers and tourists are free roam around. As a group I think we need to try to change the dates of the archery season! Maybe follow in Arizona’s footsteps and have a December January hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red flag for up north. Forecast for 80 mph gust and dry lightning...
I pray that we don't get more fires. Just strike onto a tree that's already extra crispy ok lightning.
I want to hunt and I want my evac'd family members to go back. Too many people and animals here now.

Yesterday, while dovey hunting...I started thinking fire, when an east wind (+94) came up and my steel shot was bouncing off rocks......:D

.IMG_2837.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: IVhunter
Shoot at something right at first legal light and you'll see all sort of sparks with steel. So much so I went over and made sure nothing started to smoke.

Read the last sentence D16ers...it's not about Fire danger....shocking...
You gotta be kidding me... No concerns with sport events, concerts, or protests though
Well I'm pretty sure all hunters, hikers and camper adhere to the regulations all the time. The witch creek fire in '03 was caused by a hunter in the back country as an example, do you remember how many homes and lives were lost in that fire?
I think that fire was in '03 and caused by arcing power lines due to the Santa ana's

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu