National Forest closures

You're 100% correct! Thought that was the yr I wrote but looks like I messed that up. Lol

I remember it well...Opening week-end of the 2007 duck season...Josh, Tanner, and I were driving home thru Santa Ysabel in the 4x4 van...Hardest Santa Ana winds I think I had ever driven in (60+)...Fire was blowing over Hwy 78, as we drove thru it...CHP on our butt, pushing us along...I knew then, that fire wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

.fire 2007 011.jpg

For me 03 fire. Cedar creek fire stands out. I killed a nice buck opening morning.
Went to a birthday party that night.
I came home from the party at 1:00 am with a glow over El Cap mountain. I live 5 miles down the valley from El Cap. I had a gut wrenching feeling and couldn’t sleep. 3am it came over El Cap. In less than 10 minutes the whole mountain was on fire. I told my wife anything you want to save, get it out of the house now. Few hours later it was here. Set some backfires around my house and a garden hose saved my house.18BD4EF6-B963-48B2-B217-6EDF1891520B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hold my breath all season long this time of year.

I bet, Fred....The 2003 fire literally made a loop around the best 40 acres in San Diego...Burnt many homes and structures nearby...It was a boom to the deer population though in and around Vulcan Mt....Lots of great bucks were even more exposed and the other "80" still had the great deer habitat... ;)

.IMG0438_049.jpg

Crazy. I wasn't living here in 03 or 07 but I remember family and friends had to be evacuated with fire coming over the nearby hill. We could sure use some controlled fires to clear out some places, minus the destruction. Some places I hunt now have brush as tall as me.

I remember it well...Opening week-end of the 2007 duck season...Josh, Tanner, and I were driving home thru Santa Ysabel in the 4x4 van...Hardest Santa Ana winds I think I had ever driven in (60+)...Fire was blowing over Hwy 78, as we drove thru it...CHP on our butt, pushing us along...I knew then, that fire wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

.View attachment 50752
You and I must have been close to each other. My family and I had grabbed lunch in Ramona and were heading to Laguna. We first noticed a little wisp of smoke while we were in the drive-through in Ramona. We actually drove through the very beginning of the fire in between Ramona and Santa Ysabel and had a Sheriff behind us yelling over the loud hailer to go faster!! By the time we started up the grade on the 78 towards Inaja Memorial Park it had exploded. I remember stopping at the park and thinking that there was no way we were going home the way we had come.

I also remember the 2003 fire very well as my best friend was on a 7 day fishing trip and his wife called me panicked to get my help evacuating her. We got their two Bassets, some pictures and their computers out but not much more. Their back fence burned and many of their neighbors including next door lost their homes, but somehow they did not.

One of these days somebody is going to figure it out and set stuff on fire in March or April for a change.
I beginning to think that not doing so is exactly the same as choosing the windiest, hottest, driest day of the year to have things go up in smoke.

Reactions: MJB and ke1234567
One of these days somebody is going to figure it out and set stuff on fire in March or April for a change.
I beginning to think that not doing so is exactly the same as choosing the windiest, hottest, driest day of the year to have things go up in smoke.
We’ll it’s getting to be fire season pretty much all year for sure. The Santa Ana’s just really put me on edge.

Anyone know if there openning up on the 14th or the 17th. A friend of mine has a friend that work for f&g and he saids it should be open on the 14th. Just wanta be sure.... Anyone know

When i check camp ground all sites x out no reservation til 17th could be made. So im thinking there openning it on the 17th.

.View attachment 50752
I was a volunteer firefighter during that time and was stationed at San Pasqual next to the academy. The fire raged through that area so quick that night. I remember seeing the flames creat the hill side and within minutes the entire valley was on fire. It was one of the craziest nights I ever had. We managed to save the academy from burning down but lost pretty much every residential home in that area. The winds were blowing so strong I actually saw a public mail box on its side rolling up the road the opposite way the fire was heading. It was a literal fire storm.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
On the latest meat eater podcast, sadly a number of fires are started by hunter's camp / warming fires in other states.

That said...money $$ with the current leadership. Yosemite makes money, so it stays open...they already have our hunting $$ so no need to keep it open.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu