New Hunter, Help!

There are no dumb questions...That's how you learn and stay out of (costly) trouble...Driving on a PUBLIC road to public is fine.

Example...If you come upon a gate that's open and a 100 yds away is public land and you're on that road...It is NOT legal to cross that land to get to the public, it's private (it will no doubt have plenty of no trespass signs)...If that same road is a legal access road to that public property, it is legal...Must be legal access road and many times will state this.

Yeah I wouldn't look to hunt their lands - I just noticed there's a spot near the capitan grande reservation where there's a road that passes through their land for maybe 500yards but the rest of the land is public/state owned. Is it illegal to cross their land on that road, park on the side of the road where it's public and hike through the public land?? Very very grey area haha.

Just guessing, but I highly doubt that road is open, if it crosses tribal lands...Checking it out is the best way.

I’m actually heading out with a buddy tomorrow to burn some gas thread and sole on boots. First time turkey hunting but gonna check out a couple spots to hopefully get a better idea. I just hope to see some sign of turkey life out there lol.

Because in my area turkey #'s are really low, I am wondering if we should even hunt them? Wait a few years. Or just go
The numbers are good, up northern cali. Comi fornia.

I’m actually heading out with a buddy tomorrow to burn some gas thread and sole on boots. First time turkey hunting but gonna check out a couple spots to hopefully get a better idea. I just hope to see some sign of turkey life out there lol.

Remember...We're just getting into dispersal...So don't be discouraged, if you don't see turkeys on public...One of our radioed turkeys traveled 17 miles in the spring...Find good habitat and good private that has turkeys nearby...Good chance they'll find it (heard gobbles on some public yesterday, late in the day while fishing)... ;)

ps...Take a good locator call with you...Peacock, coyote howler, or varmint call...Hearing them many times is easier than seeing them.

Reactions: Littlmama and Paolo
Remember...We're just getting into dispersal...So don't be discouraged, if you don't see turkeys on public...One of our radioed turkeys traveled 17 miles in the spring...Find good habitat and good private that has turkeys nearby...Good chance they'll find it (heard gobbles on some public yesterday, late in the day while fishing)... ;)

ps...Take a good locator call with you...Peacock, coyote howler, or varmint call...Hearing them many times is easier than seeing them.
Thanks for the heads up and advice. If all I come across is poop or a print I’m happy. Plus gets us a chance to check out terrain and scenery.

Will do! For clarification, and if I'm asking things that are in this book I'll shut up - but are the Indian Reservations considered private, uncrossable land? I know there are public roads that cross through them very briefly - are they impassable via the road?
Tribal lands are considered federal and are subject to a different set of laws than this states public lands and are generally off limits without trespass fees and specfic agreements from the tribes. For the sake of not getting in trouble consider everything that is not national forest (with restrictions) or blm land (also questiionable because of restrictions) questionable. Bottom line you have to do your homework on every where you want to go.

Reactions: Littlmama
Already got onX maps!

I definitely want to be out there legally and respectfully - There's some grey areas and maybe it's just gonna take me talking to a game warden or a Fish/Game office to clear up these areas. I assume that if you were to drive through private to get to a campsite that that is legal...so if I were to drive through private to get to public and park/hunt that seems like it would be legal as well as long as while hiking to hunt I don't cross property lines...

Anyway, lots of good info here, I really appreciate you all helping with my dumb questions!
I got the onx app right away. So far what I've had to do is find an area that onx states is BLM, wilderness or Forest, then check that areas website to see if hunting is allowed. (Some of the websites do not state whether hunting is, or is not allowed when listing activities....I have to really dig around to find the info on each website). If anyone knows an easier way, feel free to share. (I'm new to this as well).

I got the onx app right away. So far what I've had to do is find an area that onx states is BLM, wilderness or Forest, then check that areas website to see if hunting is allowed. (Some of the websites do not state whether hunting is, or is not allowed when listing activities....I have to really dig around to find the info on each website). If anyone knows an easier way, feel free to share. (I'm new to this as well).
You're on the right track.. our BLM and CNF lands here are basically all open to hunting. The only real restriction, besides the 150 yard rule, is that the Laguna Mtn Rec Area is archery only. There's also CDFW Areas, which have much more restrictions that are usually detailed online.

Has anyone ever had any luck knocking on doors to gain access to private land? I assume some landowners don’t want you hunting their land but I have to assume some land owners also don’t mind?

Has anyone ever had any luck knocking on doors to gain access to private land? I assume some landowners don’t want you hunting their land but I have to assume some land owners also don’t mind?

Yes...Pretty much the only way you're going to get permission...I will tell you about 99% will say no...They either already have someone hunting, can't let you hunt, or are against hunting...Remember too, there's a 150 yd rule (dwelling, outbuilding, or barn) for all weapons in California...So, if someone gives you permission, you need permission from all the neighbors too, if they're within the 150...Pellet guns are not considered a weapon...And you can shoot lead pellets.

When asking for permission...Don't be dressed like some redneck...I NEVER scout in camo here in San Diego and it's normally way before the season opens...You never know when that 1 %'er will walk into your life...Remember, you're selling yourself with a 1st impression and about a 5 minute conversation.

Good luck

Yes...Pretty much the only way you're going to get permission...I will tell you about 99% will say no...They either already have someone hunting, can't let you hunt, or are against hunting...Remember too, there's a 150 yd rule (dwelling, outbuilding, or barn) for all weapons in California...So, if someone gives you permission, you need permission from all the neighbors too, if they're within the 150...Pellet guns are not considered a weapon...And you can shoot lead pellets.

When asking for permission...Don't be dressed like some redneck...I NEVER scout in camo here in San Diego and it's normally way before the season opens...You never know when that 1 %'er will walk into your life...Remember, you're selling yourself with a 1st impression and about a 5 minute conversation.

Good luck

I can imagine showing up on someone’s doorstep, kitted out with face paint doesn’t exactly give the best entry point for your elevator pitch. I figure someone out there would be kind enough to share the blessings. But I’ve also met ranch owners (1000+ acres) who like hunting but do not hunt their land.

Does anyone know of any San Diego ranches that offer hunting as a business?

Hrmm, interesting thought... I bet if I knocked on those doors with my little Boy Scout in his Class A uniform it'd be a much warmer reception.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu