Remington 1100 Problem

Have you ever seen Jim Shockey and Garlicsalt Jr in the same room?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
When I take my 1100 dove hunting it usually cycles fine, other than occasionally closing without loading the next shell. The problem I have is when it gets later in the morning, some sort of debris flies out of the action and gets in my eyes when I fire. Whatever it is burns my eyes. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe it has something to do with the gun heating up? I took it apart and cleaned it a few years ago, but I don't recall finding any online instructions beforehand, I just followed my dad's instructions. Should I find a reputable source of instructions online? Could the cleaning products be the problem? Could a part inside the action be causing the issue?

1st off.....What shells are you shooting?.....Unburnt powder stings.

Secondly, start wearing glasses.
I’ve been shooting federal upland steel since the lead ban. Before that it was a mix of federal and browning I think. Glasses are a good idea.

Sounds like a question for Larry...if I remember correctly..he was an accomplished dove shooter..and also shot an 1100..some say he's been spotted on rock slide? And yep .. glasses are a good idea...I have 1 knucklehead that shoots right handed actions left handed because there was no way on gods green earth I was gonna buy lefty firearms to fit his weird lefty style ( got it from his mama..and that crazy left eye thing)...it was sink or swim...he swims well...you only have one set of eyes..

Last edited:
It happens to lost folks who shoot left handed with right handed auto shotguns. It seems to be even more common with the 1100's.

I was comparing the gas on my 1100 to my Franchi in my hunt vids. The 1100 looks to expel more gas and it is coming out at 1:30 where the Franchi expels most the gas out at 3 oclock. I'd say it's just the 1100.

When I take my 1100 dove hunting it usually cycles fine, other than occasionally closing without loading the next shell. The problem I have is when it gets later in the morning, some sort of debris flies out of the action and gets in my eyes when I fire. Whatever it is burns my eyes. I'm not sure why this happens, maybe it has something to do with the gun heating up? I took it apart and cleaned it a few years ago, but I don't recall finding any online instructions beforehand, I just followed my dad's instructions. Should I find a reputable source of instructions online? Could the cleaning products be the problem? Could a part inside the action be causing the issue?
On fishing trips, are you the guy sitting in the back of the boat tending the troll rods?

• Haha
Reactions: HATCHET1
So it sounds like taking it apart before the dove opener won’t do anything. Any ideas why it happens late in the morning?

Not saying you are a troll, but it seams as if you are trolling us. My 15 year old daughter new that FEDERAL BLUE BOX unspent powder was was burning her eyes. So really?
My apologies if you happen to be a 14 year old girl.
I thought unspent powder might be a possibility, but I wasn’t certain if it was that or if I needed to clean it better. Many of us will never reach the level of hunting skill that your daughter holds. She’s a Jim Shockey in the making.

I thought unspent powder might be a possibility, but I wasn’t certain if it was that or if I needed to clean it better. Many of us will never reach the level of hunting skill that your daughter holds. She’s a Jim Shockey in the making.
You might be on to something there.

I would think about a left handed shotgun and some safety glasses.

I’ve seen a fine mist of excess oil spray out the ejection port of my 1100 if I’ve just cleaned/oiled it (I tend to overoil). It’s never been an issue as it sprays away from me and I only get a tiny bit on my glasses and after a few shots all the excess has been expelled.

I think the solution has been stated; use a left handed gun and wear glasses. 1100 are also dirty guns. Keep it clean and don’t over oil.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu