Ruddy Specific Shotgun Setup

On a morning at San Jacinto when nothing is flying, which would you prefer?

• Stare at the sky and go home empty handed

• Shoot Ruddies off the water with a scoped shotgun

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ve never shot/sliced waterfowl that were sitting on the water unless it was a cripple. But hey, each to their own. As long as it’s legal do what makes you happy.
I’m not aware of any other way to bag Ruddies at San J, all they do is swim.

It depends on where they are harvested from. All of my diver hunting has taken place in salt water bays and ruddys from there and other divers mostly taste like bay mud. Never shot one over rice fields. They may be ok table fare from fresh water or flooded rice. I’ve actually had spoony’s shot in rice that were quite good eating.

Ruddies in rice?....Spoonies in rice?....No wonder guys pay the big bucks for those leases... :laughing:

Ruddies in rice?....Spoonies in rice?....No wonder guys pay the big bucks for those leases... :laughing:
Speaking of paying the big bucks, Trophy Ruddies Guide Service might pop up a few years down the road, if this experiment is a success. I need to be careful posting this on here, someone will beat me to my fortune.

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
I bought a Carlson's Cremator full choke and it did not seem to extend my range that much but sure made me lose less ducks. Patterned it at the turkey time up and at 20 and 40 yards it was a pretty tight pattern. Pic is from our last hunt at Barrett lots of tasty ruddies
487c9ad051facb94a791fd8606f188a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a Carlson's Cremator full choke and it did not seem to extend my range that much but sure made me lose less ducks. Patterned it at the turkey time up and at 20 and 40 yards it was a pretty tight pattern. Pic is from our last hunt at Barrett lots of tasty ruddies

@msailor is a ruddy expert. Do what he does and cook them how he cooks them. I heard he passes on mallards.

Wow, that is my dream hunt!

Reactions: msailor
You imply that shooting Ruddy’s off the water isn’t sporting. I have never seen a Ruddy flying at San J. How else am I supposed to hunt them?

Well, they do fly. Not a lot but they do. I had a teal limit ruined by a ruddy that was flying high into the decoys that I mistook for a teal in the early morning light hunting A-1 at SJ. The first 1/2 hour or so is when you'll see them flying the most IMHO.

Well, they do fly. Not a lot but they do. I had a teal limit ruined by a ruddy that was flying high into the decoys that I mistook for a teal in the early morning light hunting A-1 at SJ. The first 1/2 hour or so is when you'll see them flying the most IMHO.
Thats interesting, I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled. I read that they migrate at night.

Most the guys that I know who have clubs or pay major dollars, don't even like to eat waterfowl...lol
Stevo...never a truer statement!! Ha!! Those guys helped put sweetpea thru college by shooting ducls on miles of river bottom...ducker fever is real!!!

I forgot to mention, I’m going to bring along an old spotting scope to field judge the Ruddies before I pull the trigger. What should I look for in a trophy Ruddy, besides plumage?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu