Dr,

I've told the story a number of times, but for the new guys.... :blush:

I was in the Gila NF with old friend and former teammate at USC, Cal...The afternoon before, I had gotten a big Merriam in a place called Rattlesnake Canyon...I had hunted this place a number of times and I always saw a lot of bear scat...It's also full of caves and steep walled side canyons...After getting my bird, I found their roost trees and meadow they were flying down to.

The next morning we go into the canyon at dark-thirty and by moonlight only...There's a small stream to cross...I jump across, but Cal missed the opposite bank and falls into the bog...Wet and slowed, I push ahead, as it's getting a little light...After going about a 100 yds on an elk trail...I just happened to look up and here's a bear in full charge (making growls & grunts too)...My gun is across my back and I'm holding the decoys...All I could think of in this split second is, stand tall, throw my hands up and yell...Too my surprise, the bear comes to a screeching halt at about 15 yds...Looks at me, turns and runs...A minute or so later, Call meanders up..."Hey, was that a cow?"...No, that was pretty much a bear...lol...About that time, the bear comes out of the willows along the creek at about 80 yds...Then literally scales the wall of the canyon in seconds.

ps...Don't know if it was my yell or the bear walking right thru the flydown meadow...The turkeys went up hill and we never did get one.

.View attachment 49559View attachment 49560View attachment 49561View attachment 49562View attachment 49563View attachment 49564View attachment 49565View attachment 49567
Steve: When you held that piece of pottery in your hands, did you feel an amazement that you were, at least temporarily, physically connected to a people who knew more about hunting than you or I will ever know? They were, and are, truly amazing people. Damn!! I'd like to walk in your footprints there in the Gila.

Reactions: ilovesprig
My greatest trophy.....a piece of Chumash history found deep in a canyon one hot AZONE afternoon...I've found several arrow heads in the past...but this mortar is my greatest find...hard core.( Cleaned up for photo opp)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210707-200802~2.png
    Screenshot_20210707-200802~2.png
    880 KB · Views: 20
"Beyond that the supernatural things that have happened and are still happening are beyond explanation in those places are still under investigation there appears at the moment that the ancient ones had some sort of connection to another world we don't understand as of yet."

Jeez...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Something that I never knew but learned when I visited with some archaeologists [did I spell that right?] is that the Apaches in eastern Arizona and western New Mexico had established trade routes going as far as into Central America and South America. Can you imagine that? Talk about hunting skills!!! That is 6000+ miles, on foot, almost all the food obtained by hunting or gathering or fishing along the way. Wish I could sit down and talk with those incredible Americans and learn their hunting skills. Makes me look like a big fat zero. Talk about balls the size of grapefruit!!
Yes and that is part of the theory as to where the ancient ones came from and retreated to. The thing that existed up into north america existed in central and south america and suggests a reverse migration when things went bad with drought. Also look at the materials and food sources that seem to have come from the south and manifested in the southwest and then disappeared when they left.

"Beyond that the supernatural things that have happened and are still happening are beyond explanation in those places are still under investigation there appears at the moment that the ancient ones had some sort of connection to another world we don't understand as of yet."

Jeez...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Do some research and think about the possibilty we may not be the only inhabitants to this solar system or many others that have yet to be measured. Albert Einstein introduced us to the theory that black holes and other dimensions may exist. I would guess that he was far more intelligent than both you and I and to think otherwise in my opinion would be closed minded.

Steve: When you held that piece of pottery in your hands, did you feel an amazement that you were, at least temporarily, physically connected to a people who knew more about hunting than you or I will ever know? They were, and are, truly amazing people. Damn!! I'd like to walk in your footprints there in the Gila.

Bruce,

Of all the places I've hunted turkeys, New Mexico is at the top of the list...Hell, half the time I'm looking at the ground for artifacts...lol...And yes, there is spiritual feeling of hunters before me, that can overwhelm ones thoughts.

ps...These are true Merriams too...Just something about knowing our ancestors were probably hunting them as well.

.IMG_0999.JPGDSCF1279.JPGIMG_1002.JPG

The most bear sign I've ever seen is above Lake Isabella near Roads End and Johnsondale...It's the Sequoia NF...Corral Meadow, Sherman Pass Rd.

Sweet that’s good info man. I’ll save that for sure and check it out. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can and I’m by myself. Hard to find people to hunt with

Sweet that’s good info man. I’ll save that for sure and check it out. I’m just trying to learn as much as I can and I’m by myself. Hard to find people to hunt with

Finding a good hunting partner can be tough...Joining conservation groups, shooting, or hunting clubs can help...Talking to and being around a person can tell you a lot about them...Much more than the web.

Down here in San Diego...NWTF has monthly meetings open to the public...4th Tuesday of each month in Poway (Hamburger Factory).

Finding a good hunting partner can be tough...Joining conservation groups, shooting, or hunting clubs can help...Talking to and being around a person can tell you a lot about them...Much more than the web.

Down here in San Diego...NWTF has monthly meetings open to the public...4th Tuesday of each month in Poway (Hamburger Factory).
Yeah for sure, I live in Perris, probably an hour to an hour and a half from SD. Not sure what groups are around here

Yeah for sure, I live in Perris, probably an hour to an hour and a half from SD. Not sure what groups are around here

If you hunt waterfowl or even upland...You may want to attend the San Jacinto WA work party...Lots of like minded folks

AO for me but if you want to learn the little I know about bear hunting here ya go.

D14
Aug 15th 5am coyote hunt
Aug 20th 5am coyote hunt
Aug 21st 4am bear hunt

Bring a shotgun or rifle for the dogs, keeps it interesting dropping and picking up cams. Lemme know.

PS…. Trucks are over rated

If you hunt waterfowl or even upland...You may want to attend the San Jacinto WA work party...Lots of like minded folks
My dad was a big bird hunter but I just haven’t gotten into it. My ladies dad hunts dove, my buddy hunts bird and duck here and there so I may some time. I just really want to pursue bears and help the over population and conservation. Obviously I’ll be going for Muleys too

AO for me but if you want to learn the little I know about bear hunting here ya go.

D14
Aug 15th 5am coyote hunt
Aug 20th 5am coyote hunt
Aug 21st 4am bear hunt

Bring a shotgun or rifle for the dogs, keeps it interesting dropping and picking up cams. Lemme know.

PS…. Trucks are over rated
I sent you a DM

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu