Mr. beer

Nov 19, 2018
temecula ca
hello all, i am new to turkey hunting and was looking for some direction. so i have been putting in countless hours scouting and hiking all over the place, i have gone to several different so called "hot spots" in sandiego and have found nothing but old dusting spots and two turkey feathers. heck the only turkeys i have found were up in pine hills on pnrivate land and there were huge flocks :expressionless:..... so i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction or be guide.
ps i bow hunt mostly.
thanks,
kyle

Same question was asked in a thread from a couple days ago...

CNF, BLM, CDFW Areas are your public lands. If birds aren't on those lands right now they may return during the spring dispersal. If you know of birds on private, find some adjacent public that the birds may stray onto or can be called to (which can be tough). Fall hunting kinda sucks.. I'd say wait til spring. Don't kill hens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
where i have seen big flocks , the only public land is miles away, do you think they would travel that far? and Rodger that on shooting hens

well thanks for the advice guys. any one want to go tomorrow ? i was hoping to fill the tag before turkey day :no_mouth: or if any might have and idea were theirs a decent chance they might be i am willing to be the guinea pig to a possible area :D

where i have seen big flocks , the only public land is miles away, do you think they would travel that far? and Rodger that on shooting hens

Kyle,

One of the original released hens (from Kansas) that was radioed, traveled 17 miles to lay her eggs (McCaw Ranch to Lake Henshaw)….The original release sites were McCaw ranch near Lake Sutherland, Canta Rana Ranch in Wynola, and Eagle Peak Ranch near Pine Hills.....There's lots of public land near these 3 sites.....Once dispersal starts (normally in March), birds can be anywhere in the east county.....Last year I got calls from places like Valley Center, Rancho Bernardo, Escondido, Vail Lake, Ranchita, and a number of places south of Int. 8.

I suggest attending the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....You'll learn a lot about our local hunting areas, calling, and how to turkey hunt in general.....As stated before, we do not encourage fall turkey hunting San Diego Co.

Also, there's a NWTF meeting this next Tuesday, Nov 27th, at the Filippi's Pizza in Poway.....Starts at 6:30 pm.

Howdy,
Spent the weekend hunting Mt Palomar area private property. Had my bird dog and we couldn't find the quail covey that we had heard on dove opener. Saw two young deer and didn't see or hear any Turkey. Word of caution, the groundskeeper said that a Momma Mountain Lion and cub were spotted behind the owner's cabin last week and a Cat has been coming to the corral to try and snag a tasty goat or lamb in spite of 8 guard dogs. sounds like a or some aggressive cats in that area.

Friend was hunting near Henshaw today and watched 2 lions chasing a deer.....I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time before these lions start running out of wild game.....Places like Heise Park, KQ Campground, Henshaw campground, & Cuyamaca State Park are loaded with lions and kids.....Not a good combo.

Friend was hunting near Henshaw today and watched 2 lions chasing a deer.....I'm telling you, it's only a matter of time before these lions start running out of wild game.....Places like Heise Park, KQ Campground, Henshaw campground, & Cuyamaca State Park are loaded with lions and kids.....Not a good combo.

Man, sounds like a scary situation. I wish the DFW would listen to the real eyes of the mountains, you guys that have been hunting it for years and see it happening in realtime.

I have not seen many turkeys this year either. I use to see them all the time while driving past Warner Springs on the Golf Course. Do you guys think the cats are also having an impact on the Turkeys?

I have not seen many turkeys this year either. I use to see them all the time while driving past Warner Springs on the Golf Course. Do you guys think the cats are also having an impact on the Turkeys?
Bobcats yes, lions probably not. I'm no biologist but I don't think they waste their time with turkeys.. not enough meat for their trouble in chasing em, unlike deer.

Turkeys have been seen recently where I hunted but as the season goes on, less game is spotted. According to jim Mathews, Bobcats are the biggest predator threat to Quail, could be that they hunt Turkeys as well. I think the Lions are wacking everything in their area hard.

Bobcats yes, lions probably not. I'm no biologist but I don't think they waste their time with turkeys.. not enough meat for their trouble in chasing em, unlike deer.

I guarantee they eat turkeys there is more than enough meat on one for a lion and they could easily carry it away. Not to mention turkeys don’t use their noses which would make them Easy pray for a lion.

Saw at least 50 turkeys together today on private property (taking up the entire pasture) was easy to show my daughter what a winter flock looks like and to expect a Spring dispersal to growth of the population.

I guarantee they eat turkeys there is more than enough meat on one for a lion and they could easily carry it away. Not to mention turkeys don’t use their noses which would make them Easy pray for a lion.
True that. Plus the more deer we lose I bet they'll start eating more turkeys.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu