What's on the Calendar for Fall??

Jeeze...now i really gptta get the wife to pic up more shifts!! Daddys gotta Hunt!! Still just hoping for that A-zone tag fellas...theres always hope..

Reactions: NBK
Mearns is a tough one I've done it a few times , They are a tuff one for sure because of climatic conditions we have experienced the last few years and they are getting more difficult every season because of it. Don't think you can go down and spank. Their ability to take is getting towards what it take's to kill a Coues deer. ( good knowledge along with dogs that can point for sure and good gear) IMO stay with Gambels for the moment. They are becoming the late season go to for the midwest hunters that get frozen out. Welcome to a new reality as far as this goes..

Reactions: Zak and TRICER
Yeah dogs are a must for Mearns. I’ve never had too much trouble finding them but it’s certainly not like hunting valley or gambles quail on a good year. Hunting Mearns over pointing dogs is something every bird hunter should experience. A Mearns covey exploding out of the tall grass is like nothing else.

I ran into a lot of Mearns when I hunted in sheep in NM. @NBK you know the spot. If the boys end up in a AZ border unit for coues I am sure we will run into Mearns. I will send you pins if we do.
One of my buddies flew out to AZ from Maryland 2 years ago for a guided Mearns Hunt. He didn’t see a bird! A real expensive walk around Southern AZ.

Colorado sheep and goat emails are coming through.... big fat no for both for me.

Booked a trip to Virginia for shotgun deer season with a friend from work. Flights were 1/3 the cost cause of COVID.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
So this year I applied for my first deer hunt in Colorado and in California. Colorado I applied for private and public land and i will be able hunt on my buddies ranch there. I really hope Colorado comes through so I will have someone with experience with me to show me what to do, but I am on my own in California. I figured since applying for deer I may as well start putting in for points for Elk in both states as well. Today I just got the OK to hunt a huge private property up in D6 for turkey next season so I have that to look forward to in the Fall. Hopefully I can turn that into deer as well so i will keep my fingers crossed. I wish everyone luck with their draws and much luck filling tags!

So this year I applied for my first deer hunt in Colorado and in California. Colorado I applied for private and public land and i will be able hunt on my buddies ranch there. I really hope Colorado comes through so I will have someone with experience with me to show me what to do, but I am on my own in California. I figured since applying for deer I may as well start putting in for points for Elk in both states as well. Today I just got the OK to hunt a huge private property up in D6 for turkey next season so I have that to look forward to in the Fall. Hopefully I can turn that into deer as well so i will keep my fingers crossed. I wish everyone luck with their draws and much luck filling tags!

Colorado is great because you have the option for people turning in their tags and it happens a lot. If you do not get the tag in the draw you still can hunt the unit and not waste points. If you want to shoot me a PM we can discuss this more. I put in for points knowing I can take advantage of someone turning in a tag. I live here though and it is easy to be nimble.

Just added Idaho moose to the list... epic season on the way... good luck to all. Ed F
If you by chance pull that once in a lifetime tag let me know. I was elk hunting up in Idaho a couple years ago and came across two bull moose and almost got charged by one, super sketchy.
Ryan

If you by chance pull that once in a lifetime tag let me know. I was elk hunting up in Idaho a couple years ago and came across two bull moose and almost got charged by one, super sketchy.
Ryan

Thanks... didn't draw the moose tag. Swinging for the fence in Ca, Az and leftover draw in Nv. Ed F

Reactions: NBK
Getting an AO tag to kick off my first season of hunting deer in California, I’ll be hunting mainly D14 and D16. Put in for a antelope tag in Montana with a 75% draw so more than likely heading up there in October. And I may be getting an OTC AZ tag if my buddy can make a trip down from Montana for a hunt in January. If not I’ll be going out to AZ to help my brother in law in his first season ever hunting anyways.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu