X8 or x9b

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
So I am kicking around burning my CA points on x8 or x9b this year. I wanted to hunt 9a but I don’t have the patience to wait 6 years to hunt 9a when I can hunt x8 every 2-3 years. Figure I can do a 4-5 day backcountry deer and bear combo hunt. Has anyone hunted up there? X8 statisticaly is pretty close to 9a and a lot easier to draw. I am sure if I go deep and glass hard I can find a bruiser up there.
Figure I can do AO and x8 or x9b then I can just guide my boy for the D16 season.

Last edited:
I did a lot of exploring of the X-8 area last fall. Definitely a good zone for bears. Came across some decent areas for deer too. A few nice public cabins that can be used up there as well. I think some of the different areas are more accessible by 4x4 but plenty of areas to pack into as well. I got the impression all the guys trying to hunt the high country D5 were pushing deer into X8 also.

Drew,

I always liked X-12 (before all this zone stuff)....Is that harder to draw?
Ya 6 points now same as 9a. They decreased tag numbers a few years ago so it essentially doubled the amount of points required on the east side of The Sierra’s

I’m just about in the same boat. I’m holding out until I draw X9A but after that I’ll likely switch to an easier to draw zone. I just want to hunt. If it was between those two zones for me I would choose X9B simply due to proximity, and knowledge of the area. X8 is a big drive. X9B is close enough that you can blast up there on a Friday night and take advantage of a weekend if you need to. The proximity is going to allow more scouting too. With an X-zone draw and a work schedule I would plan a longer trip to go deep and look for something special and have another block of time later in the season to go back maybe with lower standards.

The tough thing about X9B is how narrow the zone is and how precipitously the elevation falls off the Sierra crest there. It’s a guaranteed uphill grind to get to where bigger bucks are going to be hanging (in my opinion this is kind of a good thing, it weeds out a lot of people that aren’t willing to do the work). There are some trailheads that start at higher elevation and at the very northern end of the zone the steepness backs off where the 168 heads west out of bishop toward Lake Sabrina. It’s dry but there are definitely some good bucks in X9B. It seems like a lot of people get that tag and pray for weather, but it’s extremely unlikely at that time of year. I would go into expecting hard work.

Reactions: Jred and TRICER
Ya the drive is definitely about 3 hours closer from San Diego. I hunted 9a with a friend last year it was cool. I figure if I can hunt every 3 years instead of 6 I am doubling my odds at a decent buck. I can go to UT or CO and get a much larger buck every couple of years.

My wife and go there every year for fishing trout. But we go there in spring when it's cool.
There are Jeep trails all up in there.
Wife and I drove in there with 4x4.
Then hike around a little ways up.
Beautiful country there. At the base of the big mountains.
6 hour drive in a vehicle. Took us 9 with an travel trailer.

sitting on 17points here and counting...thinking about just cashing in for one of those san diego doe permit tags G13 I think it is? any tips would be appreciated!!!

Matty,

It will be a tough hunt, but I think I can put you on one....The heater's broke, so bundle up........:D

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Can always count on you stevo to come thru!!!fingers crossed!!! This is my year!!!

Reactions: ilovesprig
Drew,

I’m sitting in the same boat, not sure what to do with my points.

This season may be different due to the amount of snow in the Sierra’s, X9b might not be a bad bet, there will deffently be standing water for quite some time.

That being said x9a, if you draw will be epic with the snow melt and antler growth this season.

Drew,

This season may be different due to the amount of snow in the Sierra’s, X9b might not be a bad bet, there will deffently be standing water for quite some time.

That being said x9a, if you draw will be epic with the snow melt and antler growth this season.
How many points do you have Brandon?

Im just starting to build points so I have some time to decide. But x9b, x8, and x12 are what Ive been looking into for now.

I was looking at the X9 a or b
Close to drive to, doesn't take much points. Can 4 wheel up pretty far.
Make base camp then hike up to hunt.
As an old timer I hate this point and zone system.

I have 5 or 6

Where are you sitting points wise?
I only have 3 that's why I am going to hunt 9b if I had your points I would do 9a. Who knows maybe CA will raise the tag numbers in the next couple years and it will get easier to draw but I doubt it.

Drew,

I would disagree the winter has been hard on the ov herd and there will most likely be a large fawn/young deer and older deer that die off due to this winter.

Reactions: nicapopolis
I would disagree the winter has been hard on the ov herd and there will most likely be a large fawn/young deer and older deer that die off due to this winter.

Ehhh. Deer just move to lower elevations. I’m not saying winter kill doesn’t happen but at the same time deer Feel weather fronts and move. Sage flats are great winter ranges !

Ehhh. Deer just move to lower elevations. I’m not saying winter kill doesn’t happen but at the same time deer Feel weather fronts and move. Sage flats are great winter ranges !
So would you go to say that you believe this winter isnt harsh enough to have an impact on the deer herd in x9a? The issue isn’t that they can or can’t sense a weather pattern coming and start heading to there wintering grounds the issue is when they get to there wintering grounds and there isn’t enough food to sustain all those deer at one time.

Not at all, and I agree with you to a point.
Im not saying this winter hasn’t been rough. matter of fact this winter is is on record to be the harshest in many many years.

I’m sure the heard will have die off but to make it sound like all of a sudden theses units will be devastated from die off might be a stretch.

That being said deer dont roll the F over when times get tough. The species has evolved over millions of years to survive and live through that environment.

Mother nature’s way of weeding out the fittest. they either eat or die. And don’t think they won’t move to eat.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu