Anyone ever hunt Coal Canyon Eco Preserve off the 91?

It did say "hey baby you want a date" not sure what that means

If you talk to MTBRs they are a bunch of deer through the OC in the Cleveland, around Irvine Lake and BSA camp, RSM and Whiting Ranch and Oneil Park. I have game cameras out and have shots of deer and long tail and a bunch of MTBRs and hikers.

I dont fear the hike in, just the hike out if I am carrying something big....

Eon, like I said a while back in this thread, I don't go up there anymore.

Prove your point and get off the couch.

bowhuntr, eon, spring,

Go take a look especially at the end of the season. Tell me what you saw. Oh, requires getting off the couch in judgment.

Facts, not opinions. Like you know what, everyone has one.

Hahaha did you just tell a guy who killed a freaking musk ox to get off the couch? That's like telling sir Edmund Hillary to go climb more.

Now me I don't get out of my truck... You could say I take the couch with me.

Id play a mulligan and hit again

Maybe someone can ping Roy to review this thread and at the same time post his credentials on the articles he has written about mule deer in major publications. Not only that but his many year experience of killing Pacific Hybrids. I feel like he would agree with the majority here.

Tony apparently is the foremost authority on mule deer. Looking back at all of his history of posts we might just be dealing with a troll here.

Arguing with Ed on this.... Ha!

ps....Do SoCal deer grunt?....lol

Yes! And it's a trip too! You'll hear their grunts bounce off the canopy of the oak you're sitting under and can kinda gauge how many and how far away they are.

But so far I've only heard just little "Hey, is anybody there?" / Locator grunts. Or perhaps they are "C'Mon Baby, gimme a lil sugar!" grunts, I don't know for sure.

I've called-in 2 using the Grunt call. One was big for that area. Still uber upset with myself for missing him twice with my bow.

The Primos Uproar. The kind with pinchable soft rubber bell so you can make it nice and soft and non-threatening if you want to be very subtle and not spook 'em if you think or hear that they are closer by. Just invoke a lil curiosity. I do think it has to be the right time of the year though for them to work. I used it very sparsely. Maybe 3 blurps... each single one 1.5-2.0 min apart. Followed by 15-30min of silence, or more.

Was soo exciting when that 3x3 came sauntering up the gullie!

YMMV.

If you talk to MTBRs they are a bunch of deer through the OC in the Cleveland, around Irvine Lake and BSA camp, RSM and Whiting Ranch and Oneil Park. I have game cameras out and have shots of deer and long tail and a bunch of MTBRs and hikers.

Whiting Ranch for sure! I had a neat experience where they crossed the fire-road right in front of us on the loop back from Cactus Run back to the Outback steak house... and for like 3-4 seconds Me, a Buddy and 3 Does were all jamming along on the fire-road going the same direction and they were literally like 12 feet from me at about 10 O'clock while we were haulin' ass on that fire road!

Guess they mis-judged how fast we were coming up on them. Then they eventually veered away over to the other side of the road, the other side of this meadow. Never forget that day! Was soo cool to be right beside 'em like that haulin' ass!

O'Neill park is Primo Habitat! And lots of shade for them too.

Went with the boys scout troop and camped in there and hiked a decent sized loop around. Excellent habitat for them! And good water too since there is that sort of man-made river that runs thru it beside the camping ground. Was all kindsa tracks in there too. And coyote tracks. And it gets pretty cold in there during winter months. Woke up to 29 F! It's kind of in this depression in the landscape.

Last edited:
Yes! And it's a trip too! You'll hear their grunts bounce off the canopy of the oak you're sitting under and can kinda gauge how many and how far away they are.

But so far I've only heard just little "Hey, is anybody there?" / Locator grunts. Or perhaps they are "C'Mon Baby, gimme a lil sugar!" grunts, I don't know for sure.

I've called-in 2 using the Grunt call. One was big for that area. Still uber upset with myself for missing him twice with my bow.

The Primos Uproar. The kind with pinchable soft rubber bell so you can make it nice and soft and non-threatening if you want to be very subtle and not spook 'em if you think or hear that they are closer by. Just invoke a lil curiosity. I do think it has to be the right time of the year though for them to work. I used it very sparsely. Maybe 3 blurps... each single one 1.5-2.0 min apart. Followed by 15-30min of silence, or more.

Was soo exciting when that 3x3 came sauntering up the gullie!

YMMV.

I better buy a grunt call...So, I might see/ hear some deer.

Horse... water... drink.. ya know.

This is in a very thick area. It's worked.. and.. it's not worked. Surprised me to hear them as well. But it was very clear and distinct. Albeit quiet. And it was together with their unmistakble footstep pattern of sound. My calls were mostly quite and soft in nature, except for the one that drew in the 3x3. I figured I'd try being bold that first day, then if no takers just shelve that idea. That 3x3 I'm pretty sure came in from a much longer distance away in a larger more open meadow further down that's right beside a chainlink fence line and has onerously worded Keep Out type verbiage on this sign that technically is NOT in private land, so I figure just don't chance it. Don't go there.

Also the next day it drew that sporkie clumsily out of the brush close by, and he stopped at the trailcam tree.

If your luck ain't going all that good anyway (D15), can't hurt to try right? Just sharing an observation that occurred.

I don't lead-off with that foot. But figure it's worth a try if being patient ain't doin' much for ya and you're approaching 9a.

Paul Harrel - "You be the Judge"

Reactions: msailor
Hey 'dog...If it works for you, that's all that matters...It's also thinking outside the box...Mule deer calls are pretty much non-existent in SoCal...I do know that I am close/around a lot of bucks/deer on a weekly basis...Don't recall ever hearing one grunt here in SD...:confused:

ps...Bought a Badlands pack at a pawn store last year in Montana...In one of the pockets was a grunt call...Might just try it this year... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu