CA Application Day!

I wonder why some would complain at an opprtunity to draw a difficult tag? However, I did notice that some groups, such as Wild Sheep, Cal Deer are able to obtain them as auction tags. Those go for big bucks. I wonder if money is the real issue?
Ok just got some details on this. The tags still exist but they all go as auction tags now instead of some going as the fundraising raffle tags that we used to be able to get. So they are trying to maximize funding from these tags which is great for the sheep and elk but sucks for the average guy that can’t afford to spend 6 figures on a sheep tag.

Ok just got some details on this. The tags still exist but they all go as auction tags now instead of some going as the fundraising raffle tags that we used to be able to get. So they are trying to maximize funding from these tags which is great for the sheep and elk but sucks for the average guy that can’t afford to spend 6 figures on a sheep tag.
This doesn't surprise me one bit... saved me about $100... next... Ed F

Yeah as Kellen mentioned the tags have been removed from a fundraiser tag and allocated towards an auction tag, this goes for all of them (deer,elk,sheep,antelope) this was not the departments decision at all they wanted that opportunity to go to the average joe, while still adding funds to help wildlife, unfortunately someone had to complain saying it’s a form of gambling, which is not allowed in California. So instead of fighting it the tags were moved from a raffle style tag to an auction tag to supply the revenue needed to help the animals, especially with the drought. With that being said if someone is ever interested in helping with sheep guzzlers and helping the animals I can put you in contact.

Reactions: Kellendv
As always I screwed up. Instead of placing my realistic favorite choice as my 2nd choice, I added it as my 3rd choice, thinking I could get 2 out of 3...lol. This means I will only get my 2nd choice. I should have put it 3rd and waited to get it OTC as a second tag as it is not that popular.

So my chances to get the tag I wanted are gone for the year..bye bye...

yes you can

Thanks.

As always I screwed up. Instead of placing my realistic favorite choice as my 2nd choice, I added it as my 3rd choice, thinking I could get 2 out of 3...lol. This means I will only get my 2nd choice. I should have put it 3rd and waited to get it OTC as a second tag as it is not that popular.

So my chances to get the tag I wanted are gone for the year..bye bye...
I messed up my choices so I called Sacramento and they fixed it for me, you could probably do the same.

Reactions: 180ls1
Decided to go G13, A22, D16 if I can go that route will have to go back and reread the regs first. All else fails AO, then I can travel the state hunting.

Reactions: Paul75_
So I am new to hunting, do you only earns points if you don't get picked?
Depends on what you’re putting in for. If you get chosen, obviously you get the tag. If not, you get points. You can also put in just for preference points, which is basically a “I don’t want to/can’t hunt this particular area/species this year so just give me the point”

So I am new to hunting, do you only earns points if you don't get picked?
You can get 2 tags in Ca. There are premium zones (generally X zones) and non-premium zones. You can ONLY use your 1st deer tag on a premium zone. You can make 3 choices, however, most premium (not all) sell out on the 1st round of drawing. If there are leftover tags after the 1st round of drawing, they usually sell out on the 2nd round of drawing. On your 1st choice, you can chose a zone or a point. If you draw your 1st choice, (choosing a point excluded) if you have points, they get used and you drop to zero. You DONOT lose point drawing your 2nd or 3rd choices even if it is a premium zone. However, generally with few exceptions, you are not likely to draw a premium zone on a 2nd choice, and you are sure to not draw a premium zone on your 3rd choice.

Your 2nd deer tag in general is good for a non premium zone.

Good luck in the drawing.

I went D14, G13, A22..and bought a D16 as my 2nd tag.. no points don't think I'll draw D14.. possibly G13 but if not it's gonna be an AO

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu