Cleveland National Forest, RAW questions

it means I wouldn't take a trophy deer with it but if I had a buck/doe tag I was trying to fill then maybe I would consider it. I appreciate your statement but I have facts, i would not disagree if you provided enough reason. Respectfully of course
You're not a hunter, you are going on data.

Me be respectful? Hmmm.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wu-Tang,

Since you are not yet a hunter and perhaps you have never been on a hunting forum, let me offer some words of advice that unfortunately you were unable to learn before this point. (insert quote about people learning from mistakes). By joining this forum you have stumbled upon what might be one of the most welcoming groups of hunters around. However, there are a few cardinal rules that one must adhere too. Some how, in your relatively short first post you broke some of the most important ones.

1) Never ask for spots. Ever. If someone wants to share their spots they will PM you. You mentioned not having "earned" a trophy deer yet, you don't earn trophies by shooting smaller deer with subpar rounds, you earn trophy deer through sweat and boot leather, finding your own spots where no other hunter has ventured. Even varmint spots are shrouded in mystery, as each hunter who has found them has earned them through hard work. It is hardly fair for one hunter to squander all the other's hard work through loose lips.

2) Be ethical. Always. While we should as hunters always hold ourselves to the highest standard of ethics. It is especially important online in a public forum, as not only those of us with our boots in the field, but also the law makers with their butts in their chairs and anti hunters with their panties in wads can read these posts.
*So, in regards to your infinite wisdom on air rifles, no-one cares that it has the KE at the muzzle to take down a "small deer." Real hunters with real experience are telling you that it is unethical. While your facts may be true in their test environment and you may be an expert shot, animals are a lot different than paper targets. You should never take a life with a weapon that will work if everything goes right, use a weapon that will offer a humane kill when everything goes wrong. Even following this advice you will still lose a wounded animal if you hunt long enough. The feeling in your stomach will teach you better than my words why experienced hunters are pushing you in this direction.
*Drones: you want to "earn" trophy animals....? Don't use drones. Take that drone money, buy some nice optics and good boots , hike in, and glass. If they aren't illegal in California yet they will be soon. Arizona has outlawed drones, cell enabled cameras, and is pushing to outlaw game cameras as a whole for the purpose of taking game. While I think that may be over the line, the use of drones on public land has much less gray area. Hunters and non hunters alike, no-one wants a tiny lawn mower flying around filming them while they are enjoying nature. The ethics of fair chase aside, it's just one more thing that will get hunters pushed off public lands.

3) Be humble. Almost always. I am not telling you to bend over for anyone. When you state facts stand by them. But realize you joined a forum to gain knowledge and advice from people presumably more experienced than you. As you currently have zero experience let us assume that 99% of the people on here could teach you something. If you ask a question they will give you their best answer, they will not always be right, but no-one will ever want to help you if as soon as they offer advice, you and all of your experience and wisdom disagree with them. Ask your questions, say thank you to those who respond, take what you can on board, discard the rest.

So, before you clap back, remember the secrets to success. Say thank you that someone took the time to point you in the right direction, so that you can find the most success in one of the most gratifying pursuits you can undertake. Be ethical and represent the community well. Have enough humility to learn from others, and be prepared to work hard and be handed nothing. These lessons will serve you better in your hunting future than any secret spot or drone footage.

Wu-Tang,

Since you are not yet a hunter and perhaps you have never been on a hunting forum, let me offer some words of advice that unfortunately you were unable to learn before this point. (insert quote about people learning from mistakes). By joining this forum you have stumbled upon what might be one of the most welcoming groups of hunters around. However, there are a few cardinal rules that one must adhere too. Some how, in your relatively short first post you broke some of the most important ones.

1) Never ask for spots. Ever. If someone wants to share their spots they will PM you. You mentioned not having "earned" a trophy deer yet, you don't earn trophies by shooting smaller deer with subpar rounds, you earn trophy deer through sweat and boot leather, finding your own spots where no other hunter has ventured. Even varmint spots are shrouded in mystery, as each hunter who has found them has earned them through hard work. It is hardly fair for one hunter to squander all the other's hard work through loose lips.

2) Be ethical. Always. While we should as hunters always hold ourselves to the highest standard of ethics. It is especially important online in a public forum, as not only those of us with our boots in the field, but also the law makers with their butts in their chairs and anti hunters with their panties in wads can read these posts.
*So, in regards to your infinite wisdom on air rifles, no-one cares that it has the KE at the muzzle to take down a "small deer." Real hunters with real experience are telling you that it is unethical. While your facts may be true in their test environment and you may be an expert shot, animals are a lot different than paper targets. You should never take a life with a weapon that will work if everything goes right, use a weapon that will offer a humane kill when everything goes wrong. Even following this advice you will still lose a wounded animal if you hunt long enough. The feeling in your stomach will teach you better than my words why experienced hunters are pushing you in this direction.
*Drones: you want to "earn" trophy animals....? Don't use drones. Take that drone money, buy some nice optics and good boots , hike in, and glass. If they aren't illegal in California yet they will be soon. Arizona has outlawed drones, cell enabled cameras, and is pushing to outlaw game cameras as a whole for the purpose of taking game. While I think that may be over the line, the use of drones on public land has much less gray area. Hunters and non hunters alike, no-one wants a tiny lawn mower flying around filming them while they are enjoying nature. The ethics of fair chase aside, it's just one more thing that will get hunters pushed off public lands.

3) Be humble. Almost always. I am not telling you to bend over for anyone. When you state facts stand by them. But realize you joined a forum to gain knowledge and advice from people presumably more experienced than you. As you currently have zero experience let us assume that 99% of the people on here could teach you something. If you ask a question they will give you their best answer, they will not always be right, but no-one will ever want to help you if as soon as they offer advice, you and all of your experience and wisdom disagree with them. Ask your questions, say thank you to those who respond, take what you can on board, discard the rest.

So, before you clap back, remember the secrets to success. Say thank you that someone took the time to point you in the right direction, so that you can find the most success in one of the most gratifying pursuits you can undertake. Be ethical and represent the community well. Have enough humility to learn from others, and be prepared to work hard and be handed nothing. These lessons will serve you better in your hunting future than any secret spot or drone footage.

Well said...…. :clap:

Wu-Tang,

Thank you. You seem like a very knowledgeable individual and i whole heartly agree and take your advice.

Last edited:
No Larry thread here. Just go over to Rokslide. He is spending his time over there bloviating and I don't mean that in a bad way.

r

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu