D16 report

I was there today on the laguna on high winds, super cold weather , almost all day , 2 does at 20 yds from blind they come straight to doe strus scent , no buck around they was mid-size does, later i go around to check tracks and see a gray fox at 50 yds, and 1 spike at 40 yds hes comming straiht to my blind I find him 150 yds away.

Afternoo I go other spot I have and see 2 big does alone 80 yds, no bucks, and 15 turkeys too at mid day.

So question is are the rut started or not yet, is Laguna diferent than other areas , too many does alone , where was the bucks we all seen all summer ????
I back sunday to a diferent spot for a full day.
Good luck.
I am taking educated guess.
Because of the dry windy weather
It may have slowed the rut.
I seen Laguna deer rut late during
Thanks given and later. Even in snow. Be patient sooner or later
Buck will make a mistake.
Your in a good spots with all that action. Any day for you.

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Good luck longbow knock one down!
Taking my 6 year out Monday for his first deer hunt hopefully it’s not crowded don’t want to ruin some one else’s hunt
going to bring a blind and a game to keep him busy any other suggestions want him to have a good experience so he likes going out with me

Yes buy a portable charger for phone so he can be on the phone , you can wait for hours before seen a deer.

I buy a hung treestand because I know where doe like enter to the mountains also know some buck use that way , I try next week and report later if have any pic on cam.
good luck.

D16 today... no deer but did see a mostly black wolf looking coyote carrying what looked like a deer leg. Pretty crazy, it walked out onto a rock clearing for about 5 seconds and then back into the thick brush.

Ran into the warden, cool guy very respectful. Said only a big fork has been taken in the section I was hunting. I did see 2 hunters walking in the distance.

Marked off some areas of interest from map, nothing like getting outdoors and checking the area by foot.

My buddy did tag out Thursday , small fork. Said he saw 2 bucks going over ridge and he threw out some grunts. The smaller buck busted a u-turn right away and came back looking for a fight. POW ... end of his season, meat in the freezer.

Tomorrow heading to d12

D16 today... no deer but did see a mostly black wolf looking coyote carrying what looked like a deer leg. Pretty crazy, it walked out onto a rock clearing for about 5 seconds and then back into the thick brush.

Ran into the warden, cool guy very respectful. Said only a big fork has been taken in the section I was hunting. I did see 2 hunters walking in the distance.

Marked off some areas of interest from map, nothing like getting outdoors and checking the area by foot.

My buddy did tag out Thursday , small fork. Said he saw 2 bucks going over ridge and he threw out some grunts. The smaller buck busted a u-turn right away and came back looking for a fight. POW ... end of his season, meat in the freezer.

Tomorrow heading to d12

I watched 3 doe (2 of them with gps collars on) for about 30 minutes this morning. I had seen a small forky with with them last week but he was no where to be found today.

Gratefully no wind until late morning / close to noon where I hunted.

Crazy about the coyote!

Saturday turn out to be disappointing. Glassed most of the day Nothing visible.
Nothing moving. I thought I heard a bleat but must of being in the very thick brush. Taking a break
To day is family time and chores to get done. We got call from sdg&e
Might get our power shut down to day. So need to get Genny ready.
Got gas for it.

Saturday turn out to be disappointing. Glassed most of the day Nothing visible.
Nothing moving. I thought I heard a bleat but must of being in the very thick brush. Taking a break
To day is family time and chores to get done. We got call from sdg&e
Might get our power shut down to day. So need to get Genny ready.
Got gas for it.
Same here, I went to the place you mentioned on our call. My son did very well. We didn’t see anything and we glassed in three places for long times, walked down to tree line, we did here something moving but never saw what it was. Called at at around 2:30.
It was quality time spent with my boy. We were even looking for coyotes and bobcats or something to shoot. But, no luck.

Same here, I went to the place you mentioned on our call. My son did very well. We didn’t see anything and we glassed in three places for long times, walked down to tree line, we did here something moving but never saw what it was. Called at at around 2:30.
It was quality time spent with my boy. We were even looking for coyotes and bobcats or something to shoot. But, no luck.
I believe the dry dry weather is impacting dear movement.
Let's pray for rain.

Wind didn't get any better...Monday morning was the worst for me. Birds weren't even trying to fly!!!

Ditto on the AM windy sits...insulated rain pants and jacket made it bearable in 40MPH gusts.

Well only hunted couple times last week. Power outage and heavy winds. Dusty wind gets me sick.
Almost got pneumonia last time.
And pulled a back muscle. Fun.
Hit hard middle of this week.
All my deer split. No action on my cameras. Tryn a new spot. Back to Laguna maybe
LB

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Limited hunting time lately. Got out yesterday only saw 1 doe and a little later a pair of what looked like twin spikes. Going camping next weekend with a few families, hopefully I can glass a buck up from camp and take off after it. Pretty much done for the D16 season.

Hey Guys,
New to this forum, I wanted to share my D16 buck I harvested this veterans day, it was a solo hunt and a memorable one to say the least. I spotted him Saturday evening after glassing for two hours, made the plan to go back the next day. After waiting a while I decided to hike down where I had seen him before, 30 minutes into my hike I spot him starring at me and the rest is history. The fun started when the meat went in the pack lol20181111_190327.jpg20181111_083035.jpg

Attachments

• 20181111_152300.jpg
    20181111_152300.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 15
Limited hunting time lately. Got out yesterday only saw 1 doe and a little later a pair of what looked like twin spikes. Going camping next weekend with a few families, hopefully I can glass a buck up from camp and take off after it. Pretty much done for the D16 season.
Same boat as me.. I had 2 days to hunt and passed on a forky on day 1, and never saw him again. Seems like my deer went nocturnal.. I'll probably be making a nice soup out of my D16 tag this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,
New to this forum, I wanted to share my D16 buck I harvested this veterans day, it was a solo hunt and a memorable one to say the least. I spotted him Saturday evening after glassing for two hours, made the plan to go back the next day. After waiting a while I decided to hike down where I had seen him before, 30 minutes into my hike I spot him starring at me and the rest is history. The fun started when the meat went in the pack lolView attachment 36965View attachment 36967

That’s a stud buck! Those eye guards are pretty wicked...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu