D16 report

So last saturday was a good day I saw almost 12 deers and 2 big forks , the big one was killed monday morning, I saw him on Saturday at 96 yds I can close the deal, also see does at 20 yds and spike at 25 , monday 6 does and 1 doe at 20 yds, also find a fawn recently killed by Lion 2 diferent tracks so maybe man with cub and a doe kill to , one of my partners find today a spike killed by lions too, a lot of deer moving around. Also someone takes a big 4x4 with the rifle and the big fork taked on mount laguna. I have some forks on cams just need some luck. many groups of does alone without bucks and some does alone too.

.IMG_1377[1].PNGIMG_1318[1].JPGIMG_1308[1].JPGIMG_1378[1].PNGIMG_1379[1].PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
So last saturday was a good day I saw almost 12 deers and 2 big forks , the big one was killed monday morning, I saw him on Saturday at 96 yds I can close the deal, also see does at 20 yds and spike at 25 , monday 6 does and 1 doe at 20 yds, also find a fawn recently killed by Lion 2 diferent tracks so maybe man with cub and a doe kill to , one of my partners find today a spike killed by lions too, a lot of deer moving around. Also someone takes a big 4x4 with the rifle and the big fork taked on mount laguna. I have some forks on cams just need some luck. many groups of does alone without bucks and some does alone too.
Wow seems like your the only one seeing anything. CONGRATS

Reactions: longbowhunter2

Whats the story on the big 4x4?

The 4x4 was a guy back from work to home near julian in public land near the road he looks the buck pushing a doe at 200 yds and he soot, one young guy shoot a big 2x3 yesterday in the liver never find the buck this was in laguna, I saw many does a lot of action but most alone , i saw coyotes and big bobcats too on cams.
All buck Iknow was around was killed or wounded just 1 fork still there and ths 3x4 and 4x4 that I dont see for a while.

Went out today and kicked up 4 doe about 6:15 am, after they scrambled I glasses for a while. Decided to pack up and try to get some dove around 7:30 figuring I busted the area but on the way out I saw a small forky at 588 yards, I dropped got my rifle set then saw my self imposed yardage paper “do not shoot past 500!”.

Tried to get closer but he disappeared and I couldn’t refind him. By the time I decided to head back again the four doe went back to their original spot (my buddied sat there while I went after the buck and walked to within 15 yards of him.) I saw all this from up high and glassed them until they bedded hoping the buck would come check them out...but oh well.

Saw a large bobcat yesterday as I went bending down to take pictures of turkey tracks. Too bad I didn’t buy a tag this year.

Hey Guys,
New to this forum, I wanted to share my D16 buck I harvested this veterans day, it was a solo hunt and a memorable one to say the least. I spotted him Saturday evening after glassing for two hours, made the plan to go back the next day. After waiting a while I decided to hike down where I had seen him before, 30 minutes into my hike I spot him starring at me and the rest is history. The fun started when the meat went in the pack lolView attachment 36965View attachment 36967
Nice job Glen. Way to get after him the next day.

From this week: Went out with a friend and looked for the wide buck I posted before, couldn’t find him so we moved a few hundred yards. Saw one good buck for only a few seconds from over a mile (really low deer density in this spot). Glassed hard for him in his direction of travel but he never re-appeared. A few minutes later I saw a guy a few hundred yards away in the direction he had come from. Guessing he got bumped. We hunted dark to dark.

We looked for him again the next day. Found him bright and early with his does. Watched him shred a little tree, chase off the spike that runs with that group, check his does and lip curl all morning. Got a lot of photos and video through my spotter. If I had found him the day before I probably would have killed him. And he gave me plenty of opportunity this day. But for whatever reason I decided I wanted to let him walk and see if I could find him next year. A new challenge for me. I already have two great deer this year and I still have a buddies elk hunt and Texas in January. Will still hunt and see if I can come up with something big.

Currently sitting in a cloud unable to glass.... which is why I’m typing this. Going to give it a little while longer before I call it for the day. Tomorrow will be my last day of D16.

06797DC4-BC32-4F9E-8CDE-3AA8FA7DE5D8.png094861C2-C10C-4427-ACB1-36BAE4AE990D.jpeg27804024-5C15-43CE-86FA-E4BDB797E9A6.png

Well fellas, had to finish up some work a round the house getting ready for winter.but I have half a day and tommorow. How ever it goes. I had a good season. For being handicap. And almost didn't make it out. Seen this year two forky bucks, bunch of does. Bobcats, mountain lion. And bunch of critters. Not a bad year.
Especially with this drought.
Congratulations to all who tagged out this year. Rest of us have next year to try again. But I will give my best till the end.
Best to all.
LB
PS: hope you all enjoyed turkey day. With all the fixings.

Went out today and it was extremely windy but I stayed out all day. Didn’t see a whole lot except for 3 does I about stepped on getting to my glassing spot. With the heavy wind they didn’t jump until I was about 5 yards away. Seemed to be more hunters out today than opening day. A lot hike way in as well.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu