Need some help, please.

They have various coats, I've seen some short hair to long hair like mine. I would say mine is fairly shed free as I strip her regularly. Definitely nothing like my old lab where I'd find hair everywhere in the backyard
My wife who taught me how to train gun dogs apprenticed under Bodo Winterhelt way back when no one knew what a Pudelpointer was, Bodo was the cofounder of NAVHDA and was the first person to bring them to north America in the fifties. They are bred as both a long coat and short coat dog. It is not a dog for everyone as they require dedication to training and can be very tough and hard headed but if you can harness it you will have a great bird dog. My concern now with the breed is that they have become very popular and are being bred by people that I question their knowledge of the bloodline and the attributes you should be looking for and just want to make a buck. The AKC people are considering acknowledging them as a breed and to me that is the death of the quality of the breed if they do that because people who like the way they "look" will get involved and not pay attention to what they were bred to do (Much like many other breeds that AKC has adopted like Labs, Weimeriners Griffons etc.. and many other sport dog breeds. If you are truly interested in owning a good one look at the Pudelpointer club of north america (Founded by Bodo after he left NAVHDA) as well as NAVHDA and do some home work. P.M if you want some leads as to who is breeding them properly. I do this for a living and because of that have gained some perspective on this.

Yep Aeon, Your right about that and want to keep it simple. Versatile dogs take a lot more work if you want to go that direction. As I have said before too each his own pick what works for you and do the work....

My wife who taught me how to train gun dogs apprenticed under Bodo Winterhelt way back when no one knew what a Pudelpointer was, Bodo was the cofounder of NAVHDA and was the first person to bring them to north America in the fifties. They are bred as both a long coat and short coat dog. It is not a dog for everyone as they require dedication to training and can be very tough and hard headed but if you can harness it you will have a great bird dog. My concern now with the breed is that they have become very popular and are being bred by people that I question their knowledge of the bloodline and the attributes you should be looking for and just want to make a buck. The AKC people are considering acknowledging them as a breed and to me that is the death of the quality of the breed if they do that because people who like the way they "look" will get involved and not pay attention to what they were bred to do (Much like many other breeds that AKC has adopted like Labs, Weimeriners Griffons etc.. and many other sport dog breeds. If you are truly interested in owning a good one look at the Pudelpointer club of north america (Founded by Bodo after he left NAVHDA) as well as NAVHDA and do some home work. P.M if you want some leads as to who is breeding them properly. I do this for a living and because of that have gained some perspective on this.
If and when I'm ready for one.. I'll give you a ring.

In the beginning, when teaching new commands, execute with both a hand gesture and a vocal command. Treating everytime it's executed EXACTLY as you desire. After they get it good, backing off on the Treat and ALWAYS with Tons of Praise in a High Pitched praised-voice. Then once they get real good and you don't have to treat anymore... do just hand gestures, and treat again when execution is EXACTLY as desired. Then just voice. Same way. Then... later on when giving hand gesture or vocal commands add-in a specific head/facial nod type of command that you want them to also recognize as the command for that action. Before long you can get then to execute a whole buncha different things using just slightly different head nods. It's cool!

Also... myself... I got tired of catching all these side-eye'd glances from other humans when at the dog park from when I needed to talk with my dogs in the emphatic gruff reprimand tone. So instead... what I started doing is integrating the world "Please" into the commands. So if I end a command execution sentence with "Please" (with the right tone to it) uh-oh... my girls know daddy is not happy and that they'd better get with it. And that way... I don't have to be talking all gruff with them to impose dominance and catch all that side-eye flack from Nosey butt-insky people.

In the beginning when you teach 'em a new trick and you've got Treats involved... they'll just bust out into every trick they know in their repertoire. You gotta say back "No, I didn't say to do all that. ... Sit, Please. Gooood Sit!... Ready?.....<NewCommand!>. And sometimes with more complex multi-actions you need to teach it to them in broken-down piece-parts.

And then... after they've learned 'em all pretty good, they'll start trying to short-change you on their execution. Such as when returning the ball from a fetch , not actually putting it back in your hand. That's when I take another step backwards and say "No.... GIVE! <Shaking the extended hand with palm upward facing) Maybe even repeat the command twice in a row rapidly to express being emphatic, like you want it done now. "GIVE! GIVE!".

And each and everytime they execute they way you wanted, you gotta make the biggest deal about it! "Goood <NameOfCommand>! Goood <NameOfCommand>!!! Goood Girl!!!" (Lots of pets and rubs and scratches). Before long it's not about the Treat anymore. It becomes about receiving all that lovin' you shower'em with when they execute right!

And whenever you have a time period where they start being little shits and being bad about not fully executing. Then it's time to put them back on the 6ft lead and do the basics. The basics are taking 'em for walks on 6ft lead and making sure they don't pull, and that when they get to a curb and you say "Sit" they sit that butt down and they don't lift it up off the concrete until YOU say "OK Let's Go...."

That reinforcing your position of dominance with the basics helps soo much in making their off-leash training commands execute better!
gary-001 - CROPD.jpgWP_20140801_015.jpg

Last edited:
I took Archer to High On Kennels as well for a session. They are really good there.
You can also read a few books, watch some videos, and do it yourself. I trained Archer myself, and it's a very cool process watching your dog learn right in front of you. There is a lot of frustration in the process, but if you do it right and you have the time, it's very rewarding as a dog owner. A lot of time and patience will go a long way in the process. He is also the best house dog you can ever ask for. He slept right next to our newborn baby's crib all night last night.
ArcherQuail-2.JPG

I used to have a dog just like that little golden colored one. Excellent dogs. VERY smart.

Jagds have great hunt drive & a real want to please. With that said once you follow the rule "fat kid with a chocolate cake" and realize they can read your mind the rest falls into place as long as you get them on lots of game.

13 years ago I was looking for a versatile hunting dog. One that could hunt big game, blood track and could get into the ditches to chase pheasants.
So in my search I came across the Jagd Terrier and was hooked. I have hunt pigs, deer, coyotes, Bobcats, bear, pheasant, Quail, Ducks, geese, dove & blood track turkey's, bears, deer, bighorn sheep & Mt. Lions.

Plus I love when either bird dog guys or big game houndsman tell me that my dog won't hunt.......by the end of the day they all praise my dog.....then I have some fun with them.

My first hunt in Baja we set up on some thick cover with a lab in the lead and he's not going into the thick stuff. I'm in the rear of the push following my Zoe. The rest of the group is 70yds ahead of me when Zoe in the thick cover flushes 3 roosters I knock down 2, by the time I catch up with them I have my Mexican limit of 4 roosters.......from then on I knew I had the right dog for birds in thick cover.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu