Never too Early to Start Scouting Turkeys

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
With waterfowl season kind of winding down. I thought I'd go and look for some turkeys.....I was pleasantly surprised when I found a flock of bachelors......15 jakes & 6 toms........I was especially excited to see the 15 jakes. It means there was at least some recruitment this year in this area......Saw over a 100 birds in the traditional spots (65 in one flock).

With such a good start to our spring/winter rains. I am optimistic that we will get some our birds and dispersal back.

Here's a few pix of the birds............ ;)

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    919.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 050.JPG
    050.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    774.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    878.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    878.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 081.JPG
    081.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 87
Re: Never to Early to Start Scouting Turkeys

Awesome Steve. I have a whopping 6 located in a flock near my house. Probably going to knock on some doors where they hang out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nicapopolis said:
Awesome Steve. I have a whopping 6 located in a flock near my house. Probably going to knock on some doors where they hang out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nick,

I loved hunting Merriam turkeys in Colorado......Good luck on getting that permish...... ;)

Attachments

• DSCF0039.JPG
    DSCF0039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0043.JPG
    DSCF0043.JPG
    830.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62

Have not seen a single turkey up in the north end Mesa Grande in the last four months and have not seen a jake or tom since last spring (two jakes and one tom along with four females). In 2008 I counted 300 in one flock one morning. In my opinion we are a long way from the turkey population being stable. That being said I would suggest that everyone leave them alone for another year or two if we want to have a sustainable resource.

Snake Charmer said:
Have not seen a single turkey up in the north end Mesa Grande in the last four months and have not seen a jake or tom since last spring (two jakes and one tom along with four females). In 2008 I counted 300 in one flock one morning. In my opinion we are a long way from the turkey population being stable. That being said I would suggest that everyone leave them alone for another year or two if we want to have a sustainable resource.

Fred,

I agree with you.....That's why I was so excited to see 15 jakes.....I haven't seen 15 jakes total anywhere in the last 2 years.

ps......By the way the turkey walks, they were less than 2 miles from you.

Very promising. Thanks for the report Steve

That's very good to hear, Steve. Thanks for the update and hope all is well

Mike,

All is well.....Getting ready for the Super Bowl party, Spring Turkey Tune-up, San Diego youth pheasant hunt, and the drawing for the Santa Ysabel youth mentored turkey hunt.....Busy times ahead.

ilovesprig said:
Mike,

All is well.....Getting ready for the Super Bowl party, Spring Turkey Tune-up, San Diego youth pheasant hunt, and the drawing for the Santa Ysabel youth mentored turkey hunt.....Busy times ahead.

As usual, I'd love to help. Let me know what I can do. Will you be at nwtf mtg next week?

Sprig, when is the youth pheasant hunt this year, how to get my grandson in

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

wiley said:

Wiley,

The event is full, but you still can come out and enjoy probably everything but the shoot......The event is Feb 13th at the Tulloch Ranch......Corner of Int. 8 and the Lake Morena turn off.

I will be manning the NWTF booth.......Rain or shine...... ;)

ilovesprig said:
wiley said:

Wiley,

The event is full, but you still can come out and enjoy probably everything but the shoot......The event is Feb 13th at the Tulloch Ranch......Corner of Int. 8 and the Lake Morena turn off.

I will be manning the NWTF booth.......Rain or shine...... ;)
Ok thanks. .

Don't forget about the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake San Vicente......Feb. 20th......Talked to the Lake Sutherland folks and they said there's a pretty good amount of turkeys out there.

This year it will be 2 days a week and 3 zones......Really fun day with lots of prizes and experts in turkey calling and hunting.....Kids hunts too.

Attachments

• DSCF0605.JPG
    DSCF0605.JPG
    890.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6235.JPG
    IMG_6235.JPG
    758 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6242.JPG
    IMG_6242.JPG
    682.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    743.3 KB · Views: 47
ilovesprig said:
Don't forget about the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake San Vicente......Feb. 13th......Talked to the Lake Sutherland folks and they said there's a pretty good amount of turkeys out there.

This year it will be 2 days a week and 3 zones......Really fun day with lots of prizes and experts in turkey calling and hunting.....Kids hunts too.

You read my mind, was looking all over the NWTF sife for spring tune up info...

Snake Charmer said:
OK I will only kill 2. ;)

hey Steve you sure do post a lot of bobcat (turkey killer) pictures, I'm still waiting for the one with you holding them up by the hind legs with a big smile on your face?????

ilovesprig said:
Don't forget about the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up at Lake San Vicente......Feb. 13th......Talked to the Lake Sutherland folks and they said there's a pretty good amount of turkeys out there.

Steve, just noticed both are on the same day, and got on vickies back up list, what time is the tune up

Wiley,

My mistake....The Spring Turkey Tune-up is Feb 20th.....I'm out in the IV with no calendar.....lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu