Whoa...!! I did NOT know even that they Got that BIG!!!

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
So I go out to this place again I've been trying to get a Coyote at. During my first set... I some point I scan the terrain again in the vicinity of the motion decoy... and now I notice a bird has landed on one of the branches on this dead tree.

Before raising my binos to check it (BTW, the Vortex Vultures are AMAZING at this location!) I assumed it was a Raven from the size of it. And like even for a Raven, the body would be significantly rounder and fuller than a typical desert Raven is.

So I raise up my binos and bada-bing... I see the tattle-tale single feather off the top of the head... NO BLEEPIN' WAY!!! THAT'S A QUAIL!?!!!

Could NOT believe what I saw! I have never in my whole life seen a Quail that damn huge!

I guess it's all this rain and all the billions of little tiny flowers and spike in insect population I suppose?

Anyhoo.. just thought I'd share... that damn thing was very near to the size of a large chicken!!!

Last edited:
Learn something new everyday. Guess I'll have to do some Google-Fu here!

So I go out to this place again I've been trying to get a Coyote at. During my first set... I some point I scan the terrain again in the vicinity of the motion decoy... and now I notice a bird has landed on one of the branches on this dead tree.

Before raising my binos to check it (BTW, the Vortex Vultures are AMAZING at this location!) I assumed it was a Raven from the size of it. And like even for a Raven, the body would be significantly rounder and fuller than a typical desert Raven is.

So I raise up my binos and bada-bing... I see the tattle-tale single feather off the top of the head... NO BLEEPIN' WAY!!! THAT'S A QUAIL!?!!!

Could NOT believe what I say! I have never in my whole life seen a Quail that damn huge!

I guess it's all this rain and all the billions of little tiny flowers and spike in insect population I suppose?

Anyhoo.. just thought I'd share... that damn thing was very near to the size of a large chicken!!!

Like this guy?

1bf6649faa710ce1a2d48627324b2eb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger!

Like I said... I at first figured it was your typical Desert Raven. The area is Tall Desert Hillside Ridges, and the Raven's and Crows Patrol non-stop with all the wind currents there are with all these fingers and draws.

Last edited:
But yeah, more than likely the same species as this one you showed here.

Here is a mountain quail. They’re bigger than the gambles or valley, about 11” tall, , and usually above 4000 feet. They are rarer and more secretive that valleys. I finally got my first couple of shots at one this year after years of trying to bag one but came up empty

Frank

Attachments

• B60087D5-0552-49CB-8ED7-B62F8087A800.jpeg
    B60087D5-0552-49CB-8ED7-B62F8087A800.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 74E43740-7785-47D1-AC06-075BDDAE328B.jpeg
    74E43740-7785-47D1-AC06-075BDDAE328B.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
You guys are funny. Mt Quail are a little bigger than California or gambles quail but really it isn’t noticeable.
I would put my money that Larry saw a band tail pigeon. More than likely if it was a quail up in a tree you would have heard it this time of year.
I don’t even think a pheasant is 15” tall.

Sorry - got the height w type, wingspan is 15”, height about 11”. They’re much larger than valleys and it’s noticable

Mt Quail are blue I like to shoot them. If you pluck them they all look the same. Depending on where you were in the San Bernadinos it could have been a Chukar as well.
0C490D86-EA40-48AC-8AD1-D813CD09AC16.png566BDAD1-D6C5-4FDA-AB9A-B4A0973EBA9C.png
835011D6-9C12-48CA-8F6E-ADD03DD1A81C.png

Reactions: Smokey58
You guys are funny. Mt Quail are a little bigger than California or gambles quail but really it isn’t noticeable.
I would put my money that Larry saw a band tail pigeon. More than likely if it was a quail up in a tree you would have heard it this time of year.
I don’t even think a pheasant is 15” tall.

Ditto I’ve shot a lot of Gamble,Valley and Mt Quail and they are very similar in size, not even any where near a Raven or Crow

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu