Whoa...!! I did NOT know even that they Got that BIG!!!

MEASUREMENTS
  • Both Sexes
    • Length: 10.2-12.2 in (26-31 cm)
    • Weight: 6.7-9.2 oz (189-262 g)

That 12 inches sounds like it could be about right. But NO WAY it was just 9.2 oz.. NO WAY. This thing was WAY rounder in body shape than any Quail I'd EVER seen before.

If it was a Quail it was just puffed up trying hook up. He’s just trying to get his little quail pecker wet or show off for his partner it’s that time of year. Also not likely a Mt Quail since they are almost always in areas that have pine trees at least in my experience.

There are new hunters on this site and I don’t want them shooting turkey poults and grouse in the name of Mt quail hunting. I need to rethink my thread topics mine never get this much attention. We live in a time where truth is irrelevant lol. This is the CNN of hunting threads. If you don’t agree with me or if you provide truth / fact based evidence you are a tard. oh my! I guess every forum needs an Anderson Cooper for entertainment.

Well that should keep this going a little longer.

What caliber would you need for that sucker? Ed F
Oh out there? I've been presented with many many opportunities to take Quail with the .17 HMR in-hand while sniping for Ground Squirrels. But just never have since I've just never bothered with getting an upland bird stamp. And... technically I believe it's inside LA County... so even if I did have a stamp, if I remember correctly the regs don't allow that as method of take for them (Psssh, Go Figure). Pretty sure it's shotgun only for small game, even though, ya know... I can go back out to the same spot... with a .308 and legally take out a deer. So Go figure. Makes no bleepin' sense.

Up there... in the PM setting sun, I've walked up slowly at times as close as 7yds from the Quail without them breaking cover. Like climbing up a hill somewhere and they were nestled in a depression up on the flat on top by some small bush. I mean... you know how Quail are, sometimes if they feel their cover is good and they think you don't see them, and you're not approaching, or not approaching aggressively, not approaching directly, they'll hold until you get right up on them sometimes. And then just try to walk away around stuff to be quiet.

always keep the high ground when approaching an animal such as the California valley quail....anakin skywalker tried approaching from below...and well..old obi wan showed him why he was the Master...one swipe from the old light saber and SCHWIZZLE!!! cut in half...oh man..

always keep the high ground when approaching an animal such as the California valley quail....anakin skywalker tried approaching from below...and well..old obi wan showed him why he was the Master...one swipe from the old light saber and SCHWIZZLE!!! cut in half...oh man..

Dude... quit bogarting! Remember... Puff, Puff, ...PASS!!

Long Story Short... What you're doing... (and you know who the Phuqq you are, it's not *just Hatch)... cut it the Phuqq out!

Y'all should be ashamed of your damn selves.

Glad to hear its not just me Larry..

Pheeww!!...thanks f or the shout out...large quail and all!! Take a picture next time..it never happened with out pictures is a golden rule..i take alot of pictures..jus sayin..

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu